|Real name||Derrick Emory Gainer|
|Born||August 22, 1972|
|Wins by KO||25|
In 2000, Gainer defeated Freddie Norwood to win the WBA featherweight title and after four defenses lost to Juan Manuel Márquez, who became super champion, via technical decision in 2003. Since his defeat to Marquez, Gainer lost in a challenge to WBA titleholder Chris John via unanimous decision. Gainer is also a colleague and good friend of fellow Pensacola, Florida native Roy Jones Jr., and often fought on his under-cards.
Derrick started a charter high school for at risk kids in 1999 which he named after his late grandmother Dr. Ruby J Gainer. This year Gainer started Fit Nation which is a childhood obesity program with goals to help kids make healthy life style changes.
- "ESPN.com: BOXING - Roy Who? Mayweather defuses 'The Time Bomb'". A.espncdn.com. 2003-11-15. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "BOXING; Opponent Puts Up a Fight, But Jones Retains His Title". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "The Marquez brothers go for a double-hitter - latimes". Articles.latimes.com. 2007-03-02. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "BBC SPORT | Boxing | John defends crown against Gainer". BBC News. 2005-04-22. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Boxing record for Derrick Gainer from BoxRec (registration required)
- Interview with Fightnews
- DiBella Entertainment article
- Scandinavian site