Derek Robert Law (born September 14, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the San Francisco Giants.
Law with the San Francisco Giants
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 64|
|Born: September 14, 1990|
|April 15, 2016, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 23, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.19|
San Francisco GiantsEdit
Law was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 28th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft out of Seton-La Salle Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A two-time Pittsburgh All-Area baseball selection (2008 and 2009), he did not sign and attended Miami Dade College. In his sophomore year at Miami Dade, Law posted an 8–5 record with a 2.35 ERA while striking out 121 batters in 92 innings. He was then drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the ninth round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft.
He made his professional debut with the Arizona League Giants in 2011. In 15 games he had a 2.50 earned run average (ERA) with 19 strikeouts over 18 innings pitched. In 2012, he pitched for the Augusta GreenJackets, posting a 2.91 ERA with 67 strikeouts over 55 2⁄3 innings.
Law spent the 2013 season pitching for the GreenJackets, AZL Giants and San Jose Giants. He finished the year with 2.31 ERA, 14 saves and 102 strikeouts over 66 1⁄3 innings. At San Jose, Law struck out 45 hitters while only walking one hitter. Prior to the 2014 season, he was invited to the Giants Spring Training, where he has competed for a spot in the Giants Opening Day bullpen.
In 2014, he pitched for the Double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels, recording 13 saves in 14 opportunities and striking out 29 in 28 innings pitched. Law underwent Tommy John surgery in June 2014 and did not return until June 2015. Law was added to the Giants' 40-man roster in November 2014 to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. In 2015, Law recorded 32 strikeouts in 252⁄3 innings for the Flying Squirrels.
Law was called up to the San Francisco Giants on April 15, 2016, to replace the injured Sergio Romo. Law made his major league debut in a game later that day against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He entered the game in the bottom of the seventh inning and allowed one hit while striking out three batters.
On May 7, Law earned his first major league victory by holding the Colorado Rockies scoreless in one inning of relief. On June 13, Law pitched 1⅓ scoreless innings against the Milwaukee Brewers to record his first major league save. In 61 games, he posted an ERA of 2.13 in 55 innings.
The following season, he struggled with inconsistency, posting an ERA of 5.06 in 37 1⁄3 innings. In 2018, he only appeared in 7 games for the Giants, spending most of his time in the AAA level.
Toronto Blue JaysEdit
Law was designated for assignment on February 1, 2019, following the waiver claim of John Andreoli and outrighted on February 10. On April 2, 2019, the Giants traded Law, Alen Hanson, and Juan De Paula to the Toronto Blue Jays for Kevin Pillar. He was called up from the Triple A Buffalo Bisons on May 3.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 21, 2009, C-8
- Cooper, J.J. (October 15, 2013). "Giants Derek Law Finishes Hitters With Funk". Baseball America.
- Koch, Joe. "Seton-LaSalle Grad Turns Pro" Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, August 4, 2001, S-10
- Schulman, Henry (February 20, 2014). "Young Derek Law could force his way into Giants' bullpen". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Pavlovic, Alex (March 27, 2014). "Derek Law makes bid to make San Francisco Giants with strong spring". Bay Area News Group.
- Pavlovic, Alex (February 28, 2014). "San Francisco Giants' bullpen has surprise contender". Bay Area News Group.
- O'Connor, John (July 7, 2015). "Squirrels Insider: Derek Law rebounds from Tommy John Surgery". Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- Pavlovic, Alex (November 20, 2014). "OFFSEASON NOTES: Giants add four right-handers to 40-man roster, Gutierrez DFA'd". Bay Area News Group.
- "River Cats announce 2016 Opening Day roster" (Press release). Sacramento River Cats. April 6, 2016.
- Schulman, Henry (April 15, 2016). "Giants infielder Adrianza joins Romo on disabled list". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Haft, Chris (April 15, 2016). "Law shines in MLB debut vs. Dodgers". MLB.com.
- Schulman, Henry (May 7, 2016). "Giants win on 13th on Duffy walk-off". San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Giants land Pillar from Blue Jays for 3 players". MLB.com. April 2, 2019. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- "Blue Jays select contract of RHP Derek Law, DFA Alen Hanson". May 3, 2019. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- White, Mike (April 29, 2009). "Speed is the ticket for Seton-LaSalle's Law". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.