Denis E. Waitley (born 1933), is an American motivational speaker, writer and consultant. He has been recognized as the best-selling author of the audio series, The Psychology of Winning and books such as "Seeds of Greatness" and "The Winner's Edge". Waitley has been inducted into the International Speakers' Hall of Fame.
Denis E. Waitley
|Born||1933 (age 85–86)|
|Known for||Author of The Psychology of Winning|
Early life and educationEdit
Waitley was born in San Diego, California. His mother was a factory worker and his father worked in a warehouse, after serving during World War II. Waitley's parents divorced when he was ten and he had little contact with his father thereafter. He attended the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis and became a naval aviator after graduation. Waitley received his Bachelor's of Science degree from the Naval Academy and, later, a PhD in Psychology from La Jolla University.
After leaving the Navy, Waitley became a financial public relations representative for an electronics company. Later, he was offered a job by Jonas Salk to be a fundraiser at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. In 1976, Waitley recorded some of the audiotape that would become The Psychology of Winning at a local church. He released the audio program in 1978, which has sold more than 2 million copies and generated $100 million in sales. During the 1980s through 2000's, Waitley released more than 15 books such as Seeds of Greatness, The Winner's Edge and Empires of the Mind. In 2007, Waitley announced his retirement from the board of directors of Usana.
In 2007, Waitley was one of the defendants named in a class action suit against Usana, which alleged that he had "falsified his educational credentials" to potential associates of the company and to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, stating he had a master's degree and Ph.D when in fact he did not.
Waitley has authored 16 books and has released more than 10 best-selling audio programs.
- The Psychology of Winning (1979) ISBN 978-0959494808
- Seeds of Greatness (1983) ISBN 0-671-49936-X,
- New Dynamics of Winning: Gain the Mind-Set of a Champion for Unlimited Success in Business and Life (1995) ISBN 0-688-14227-3
- The Dragon And The Eagle
- Safari to the Soul (2004) ISBN 2-923209-03-6
- The Seeds of Greatness Treasury
- The Psychology of Winning for Women (1999) ISBN 1-890009-13-X
- Being the Best (1988) ISBN 0-671-70167-3
- The Winners Edge: The Critical Attitude of Success (1985) ISBN 0-425-08282-2
- The Joy of Working (1986) ISBN 0-345-33487-6
- The New Dynamics of Goal Setting: Flextactics for a Fast-changing World (1996) ISBN 0-688-12668-5
- Psychology of Success: Developing Your Self-esteem (1996) ISBN 0256194777
- Quantum Fitness: Breakthrough to Excellence (1986) ISBN 0-671-61825-3
- Empires of the Mind: Lessons to Lead and Succeed in a Knowledge-based World (1995) ISBN 0-688-14033-5
- Polk, Laffoon (September 11, 1988). "Self-esteem Sells Well in Pop-psych marketing". The Miami Herald. p. 2G.
- "Denis Waitley". Success. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Sonja Ams; Alisa Cooper (30 October 2014). Transformation in Action: Breaking Through Limiting Beliefs to Live the Life of Your Dreams. Balboa Press.
- Philippe Matthews. "The Psychology of a Winner – An Exclusive Interview with Dr. Denis Waitley". The Philippe Matthews Show. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Reagan, Karyn (5 December 2012). "Legends: Denis Waitley is Planting Seeds of Greatness". Success. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Winstein, Keith J. (March 31, 2007). "Credentials Flap Sends Usana Shares Down 7%". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- Evelyn M. Rusli (August 8, 2007). "Hard To Swallow". Forbes. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- Waitley, Denis (1995). Empires of the Mind. HarperCollins. p. 82. ISBN 0-688-14763-1.