Defense News is a global website and magazine about politics, business and technology of defense. Defense News serves an audience of senior military, government and industry decision-makers throughout the world.
Cover of Defense News from April 3, 2017
|Owner(s)||Sightline Media Group|
Defense News is published by the Defense News Media Group, a unit of Sightline Media Group, which was once a part of Gannett Company. Sightline Media Group was sold to Los Angeles-based private equity firm Regent in 2016 by TEGNA.
The organization is the leading defense publication in the United States and is often cited in official reports and in Congressional testimony.
Defense News has a weekly television show that centers on international defense and military issues. It first aired March 2, 2008, as This Week in Defense News with Vago Muradian on WUSA 9, a Washington, D.C., CBS affiliate. It later aired on ABC 7 WJLA and the Armed Forces Network. On April 3, 2017, Sightline announced the show would move to WETA-TV and be renamed Defense News Weekly, with two co-hosts: Jill Aitoro, Defense News executive editor; and Tony Lombardo, executive editor of Military Times, another Sightline brand. In September 2017, Jeff Martin, a former TV reporter from Alabama, took over hosting and producing duties. This led to a rapid transformation of the show, improving content and reach. The show later moved off of WETA, airing on AFN and on various online venues.
Current employees include:
- Jill Aitoro, executive editor
- Aaron Mehta, deputy editor/Pentagon correspondent
- Jeff Martin, associate editor for multimedia/Host, Defense News Weekly
- Chris Martin, managing editor
- Sebastian Sprenger, associate editor for Europe
- Joe Gould, Congress reporter
- Jen Judson, land warfare reporter
- David B. Larter, naval warfare reporter
- Valerie Insinna, air warfare reporter
- "Help - About - Defense News". Defense News. Retrieved 2008-12-09.[permanent dead link]
- "Army Times Publishing Company, Inc". Army Times Publishing Company. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- May 2014 Gannett Press Release
- "Interview: Brad Peniston of Defense News talks about Blogs and their impact on Defense News web site". Archived from the original on 2008-08-19. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- "WUSA Teams Up with Weekly Defense News". Broadcasting & Cable. 2008-01-28. Archived from the original on 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- "Defense News unveils enhancements to TV show". Defense News. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- "Defense News TV". WETA-TV. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- "Aitoro named Defense News editor". Defense News. Retrieved 3 April 2017.