Sir Declan Morgan
|Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland|
|Assumed office |
3 July 2009
|Appointed by||Elizabeth II|
|Preceded by||Sir Brian Kerr|
|Born||1952 (age 68–69)|
Derry, Northern Ireland
|Spouse(s)||Lady Adrienne Morgan|
|Alma mater||Peterhouse, Cambridge|
Queen's University, Belfast
Morgan was born in 1952 and educated at St Columb's College in Derry. He then was educated at Peterhouse, Cambridge, and Queen's University, Belfast. He was called to the Bar in 1976 and became a Queen's Counsel in 1993. Between 2002 and 2004, he was Senior Crown Counsel for Northern Ireland. He also served for a time as Judge-In-Residence at the School of Law of Queen's University Belfast.
In 2004, Morgan was appointed a judge of the High Court and knighted. He became Chairman of the Law Reform Advisory Committee for Northern Ireland that same year, and in 2007 was appointed Chairman of the Northern Ireland Law Commission. In 2007, he was appointed to the Family Division of the Court, and in 2008 moved to hearing cases for judicial review.
On 18 June 2009, it was announced that Mr Justice Morgan would succeed Sir Brian Kerr as Lord Chief Justice following the latter's appointment as a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary. He was sworn into office on 3 July 2009.
On 10 February 2010, Morgan was sworn of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council.
Sir Declan is married with three children.
- "MORGAN, Hon. Sir (Charles) Declan". Oxford University Press. December 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Morgan set to become North's chief justice". The Irish Times. 6 June 2009. Retrieved 4 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Honourable Mr Justice Morgan". Queen's University Belfast. Archived from the original on 23 May 2009. Retrieved 4 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland". 10 Downing Street. 18 June 2009. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "New Lord Chief Justice appointed". UTV News. 3 July 2009. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Sir Brian Kerr
| Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland