Lynch graduated from Marist College secondary school in 1978. He dropped out of law school after one year and began writing for the music magazine Hot Press. He did this for a number of years before leaving to work for the Independent.
- Ireland on Three Million Pounds a Day (May 1999)
- Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me (January 2003)
- All The People, All The Time (April 2004)
- The Rooms (January 2005)
- Free Money (April 2009)
- The Book of Poor Ould Fellas (with Arthur Matthews) (2009)
- Days of Heaven – Italia 90 and the Charlton Years (2010)
- A Football Man – John Giles with Declan Lynch (2010)
- Tony 10: The Astonishing Story of the Postman who Gambled €10,000,000 ... and Lost it All – Tony O'Reilly with Declan Lynch (2018)
- Massive Damages (1997)
- Coffey, Brendan. ""The Nuclear Option – Declan Lynch and The Rooms". Three Monkeys, February 2007. Retrieved on 1 February 2009.