Deathlike Silence Productions (DSP) was a Norwegian independent record label founded in Oslo in 1987 (initially as Posercorpse Music) that focused on black metal. DSP supported the black metal revival in the early 1990s. Helvete was the headquarters of DSP.
|Deathlike Silence Productions|
(as Posercorpse Music)
|Distributor(s)||Voices of Wonder|
|Country of origin||Norway|
The label was founded in 1987 by Øystein Aarseth, also known as Euronymous, who operated the label until his murder in 1993. The name was derived from the Sodom song "Deathlike Silence" (from their 1986 release Obsessed by Cruelty).
At first, the label mainly signed Norwegian acts, but as early as 1990 Aarseth had desired to establish a Swedish branch with Morgan Håkansson of Marduk, and towards its final years its also released an album by Japanese artist Sigh. Aarseth was considering signing Rotting Christ, Masacre (Colombia) and Hadez (Peru) before his death.
Before the label's demise in 1994, it was planned to release Monumentum's debut album In Absentia Christi. Darkthrone had threatened to release their second album A Blaze in the Northern Sky through Deathlike Silence when Peaceville Records would not due to their sudden change in genre. Voices of Wonder "took over Deathlike Silence Productions after the death of Euronymous."
Releases on DSPEdit
- Anti-Mosh 001: Merciless – The Awakening (1990)
- Anti-Mosh 002: Burzum – Burzum (1992)
- Anti-Mosh 003: Mayhem – Deathcrush (1993)[nb 1]
- Anti-Mosh 004: Abruptum – Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me (1993)[nb 2]
- Anti-Mosh 005: Burzum – Aske (1993)
- Anti-Mosh 006: Mayhem – De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994)
- Anti-Mosh 007: Sigh – Scorn Defeat (1993)
- Anti-Mosh 008: Enslaved – Vikingligr Veldi (1994)
- Anti-Mosh 009: Abruptum – In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, in Aeternum in Triumpho Tenebraum (1994)[nb 3]
- Re-release of the original Deathcrush from 1987.
- Latin for The Call of Darkness Embraces Me.
- Latin for In the Shadow of Evil I Will Walk, Forever in Dark Triumph.
- Resistance, #10–16, Resistance Records, 2000, p. 118.
- Joel McIver, Extreme Metal II, Omnibus Press, 2010, "Mayhem".
- Mick O'Shea, Cemetery Gates: Saints and Survivors of the Heavy Metal Scene, Plexus Publishing, 2014, "Dead (Per Yngve Ohlin)."
- Chris Campion (20 February 2005): In the Face of Death, guardian.co.uk, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen: The Saga of True Norwegian Black Metal, vice.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- The album 'Scorn Defeat' by Sigh was produced by Deathlike Silence
- Bård "Faust" Eithun: Interview with Euronymous, thetruemayhem.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Hadez: "...From the Graves" Archived 1 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine, blackmetal.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Garry Sharpe-Young: Monumentum Archived 1 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine, musicmight.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- A Blaze in the Northern Sky (video interview), 2003.
- Biography, sighjapan.com, accessed on 10 June 2013.