David Parlett (born 18 May 1939 in London) is a games scholar, historian, and translator from South London, who has studied both card games and board games. He is the President of the British Skat Association.
His published works include many popular books on games such as Penguin Book on Card Games, as well as the more academic volumes The Oxford Guide to Card Games and The Oxford History of Board Games, both now out of print. Parlett has also invented many card games and board games. The most successful of these is Hare and Tortoise (1974). Its German edition was awarded Spiel des Jahres (Game of the Year) in 1979.
Games and gamingEdit
- All the Best Card Games
- Anarquía y Otros Juegos Sociales de Cartas
- Botticelli and Beyond
- Card Games for Everyone
- Family Card Games
- Know the Game: Patience
- Original Card Games
- Solitaire: Aces Up and 399 other Card Games
- Teach Yourself Card Games
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Four
- Teach Yourself Card Games for One
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Three
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Two
- Teach Yourself Poker and Brag
- The Guinness Book of Word Games
- The Oxford Dictionary of Card Games
- The Oxford Guide to Card Games / A History of Card Games
- The Oxford History of Board Games reprinted as History of Board Games
- The Penguin Book of Card Games
- The Penguin Book of Patience
- The Penguin Book of Word Games
- The Penguin Encyclopedia of Card Games
- The Popular Dictionary of Card Games
Since 1974, David Parlett has published numerous games, including the following:
- Around the World in 80 Days (2016)
- Asterix: Das Kartenspiel (1990)
- Chicken Out! (2017)
- Die Wilden Kerle (The Wild Kids) (2017)
- Hare and Tortoise (1973)
- Katarenga (Colorado) (2017)
- Metal Mickey's All Around the House Game (1982)
- Ninety-Nine (1974) / Four Seasons (2016)
- Pot Black: Snooker Dice (1980)
- Rainbow Junior Scrabble (1989)
- Roman Poker (2015)
- Shoulder to Shoulder (1975)
- Star Wars: Duell der Mächte (2015)
- Sushi Spiel (Chinese Take-Away)
- The Gnümies Party Game (2001)
- The Puzzle of Oz (2012)
- Zoo Party / 7Safari (2000) / Alles für die Katz
Parlett has invented more than 70 original card games that can be played with a standard deck of playing cards.
- David Parlett on amazon.com
- Flanagan, Mary. In defense of solitaire, the "perfect game". Salon.com. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- McAlpine, Fraser. 5 British Card Games You Should Learn. BBC America. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- David Parlett, Boardgame designer page on BoardGameGeek, Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Koenig, Ravenna. Remove your rings and get out your card blanket. Alaska Public Media. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Chabris, Christopher. A New Deal in Card Games. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Solly, Meilan. The Best Board Games of the Ancient World. Smithsonian Magazine. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- The Friend, 22 and 29 December 2017.
- Parlett, David. Game Pie for Gourmets: A survey of my published games. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Parlett, David. Original Card Games: New way with old cards. Retrieved 17 October 2020.