David Krakauer (scientist)
He attended Royal Holloway University of London, where he earned degrees in computer science and mathematics. He received his D.Phil. in evolutionary theory from Oxford University in 1995, where he stayed on as a postdoctoral research fellow.
Currently the President and William H. Miller Professor of Complex Systems at the Santa Fe Institute, Krakauer previously served as the institute’s chair of the faculty and as a resident professor and an external professor. He also co-directs the Collective Computation Group (C4) at the Santa Fe Institute.
At the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Krakauer served as the founding Director of the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, the Co-director of the Center for Complexity and Collective Computation, and as a professor of mathematical genetics.
Krakauer has also held positions as a visiting fellow at the Genomics Frontiers Institute at the University of Pennsylvania, a Sage Fellow at the Sage Center for the Study of the Mind at the University of Santa Barbara, a long-term Fellow of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, and visiting Professor of Evolution at Princeton University.
In 2012 Krakauer was included in the Wired Magazine Smart List as one of 50 people "who will change the World."
- WIRED. "The Smart List 2012: 50 people who will change the world". WIRED UK. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- "David Krakauer | Santa Fe Institute". www.santafe.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- John; Krakauer, David (2017-08-07). "John1 and David2 Krakauer". Current Biology. 27 (15): R734–R737. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2017.06.008. ISSN 0960-9822.
- "Remaking the UW". Isthmus | Madison, Wisconsin. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- "DAVID_KRAKAUER". c4.santafe.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- “Complexity and Stupidity” interview with Sam Harris on the Waking Up podcast
- "Laziness, Technology And Brain Scanning A Billion People: A Conversation With David Krakauer" interview with Robert Wolcott for Forbes
- "John and David Krakauer" profile in Current Biology
- “How Your Leadership Skills Will Determine Your Company Culture" article in Entrepreneur
- "Take me to the limit" interview with Mary-Charlotte Domandi on Science Radio Cafe
- "The roots of technological singularity can be traced backed to the Stone Age" editorial in Wired UK
- "Never Mind Turing Tests. What About Terminator Tests?" editorial in The Chronicle of Higher Education