David Greene (journalist)
Greene is the son of Douglas A. Greene and the late Terry Rockmaker Greene. He spent his youth in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he lived in the Shadyside neighborhood and attended Fanny Edel Falk Laboratory School through the fifth grade. In 1986, he moved with his family to Murray, Kentucky, where he attended Murray Middle School for two years. He graduated from J. P. McCaskey High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1994. His first "radio" show was doing the morning announcements at his high school.
After graduating from Harvard University (where he was an editor of the Harvard Crimson) with a degree in government in 1998, Greene became a reporter for the Baltimore Sun. Among other assignments, including an early stint in local reporting, he covered the White House for George W. Bush's first term.
In 2005, Greene joined NPR and continued to cover the Bush White House. From 2010-12, he was a foreign correspondent for NPR based in Moscow, and in 2012 joined Morning Edition. His reporting from Moscow, including a return in 2013 to travel the Trans-Siberian Railway, led to his first book, Midnight in Siberia in 2014.
Greene's mother was an associate professor of psychology at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for 17 years, and died in 2006. David Greene received an honorary doctorate from the college in 2008, where he spoke at the college's commencement and celebrated his mother's life and career.
- Reference to 40th birthday, twitter, com, Retrieved 3 November 2017 (actual date of April 9 is public record)
- "David Greene". NPR. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Sciullo, Maria (16 December 2002). "Person of interest: David Greene, National Public Radio host". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- (12 February 2013). MHS Speech Team Hosts Evening with NPR David Greene, Murray ISD, Retrieved 3 November 2017
- Wolf, Paula (18 May 2008). Never forget the people around you, LNP
- Wallace, Brian (27 January 2012). McCaskey grad makes waves at NPR, LNP
- Schoeniger, Jill Colford (8 May 2008). NPRs David Greene to Deliver Commencement Address, Franklin & Marshall College News, Retrieved 3 November 2017
- Erickson, Amanda (5 November 2014). Midnight in Siberia (book review), Washington Post
- McCarthy, Andrew (5 December 2014). Travel: David Greene's 'Midnight in Siberia,' and More, The New York Times
- Lambert, Tim (23 February 2012). David Greene, from Central PA to NPR, WITF
- (30 April 2006). Terry Greene - Obituary, LNP
- (16 September 2007). Rose Previte, David Greene (wedding), The New York Times
- Greene, David (30 April 2015). , Food & Wine
- Rojas, Warren (17 April 2017). Compass Rose Crew Exploring New Regions with Maydan, Eater
- Spiegel, Anna (22 April 2014). 5 Things to Look For at Compass Rose Bar & Kitchen (Photos and Menu), Washingtonian