David Robert Filo (born April 20, 1966) is an American businessman and the co-founder of Yahoo! with Jerry Yang. His Filo Server Program, written in the C programming language, was the server-side software used to dynamically serve variable web pages, called Filo Server Pages, on visits to early versions of the Yahoo! website.
David Filo, May 2007
David Robert Filo
April 20, 1966
Wisconsin, United States
|Residence||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Tulane University|
|Occupation||Co-founder and Chief Yahoo, Yahoo! Inc.|
|Net worth||US$4.9 billion (August 2018)|
Personal life and educationEdit
Filo was born in Wisconsin. At age six, he moved to Moss Bluff, a suburb of Lake Charles, Louisiana. He graduated from Sam Houston High School and then earned a B.S. in computer engineering at Tulane University (through the Dean's Honor Scholarship) and an M.S. at Stanford University.
Filo is married to photographer and teacher Angela Buenning.
In February 1994, he co-created with Jerry Yang an Internet website called "Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web", consisting of a directory of other websites. It was renamed "Yahoo!" (an exclamation). Yahoo! became very popular, and Filo and Yang realized the business potential and co-founded Yahoo! Inc.
Yahoo! started off as a web portal with a web directory providing an extensive range of products and services for various online activities. Yahoo was one of the pioneers of the early Internet era in the 1990s. It is still one of the leading internet brands and, due to partnerships with telecommunications firms, is one of the most visited websites on the internet.
- Centennial Year Commencement Exercises, Stanford University, June 16, 1991, p. 69
- "Yahoo! 2011 Proxy Statement" (PDF). Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- David Filo
- "David Filo". Forbes. October 17, 2014.
- "Forbes 400 Richest Americans: #292 David Filo". Forbes. March 2013.
- Another billionaire drops Archived December 5, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "The World's Billionaires". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- Yahoo! Inc. – Company History. yhoo.client.shareholder.com
- Alex Gray (April 10, 2017). "These are the world's most popular websites". World Economic Forum. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- "Most Popular Sites 2012: Alexa Ranks The 500 Most-Visited Websites," Huffington Post, August 9, 2012