David Thomas Delpy
11 August 1948
|Education||Heaton Grammar School|
|Known for||CEO of EPSRC|
|Awards||Doctor of Science|
|Institutions||University College London|
|Doctoral students||Elizabeth Hillman|
Delpy was educated at Heaton Grammar School in Newcastle. He went on to study at Brunel University, graduating with a first class Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Physics. He was awarded a Doctor of Science degree by University College London in Medical physics.
Career and researchEdit
Awards and honoursEdit
Delpy was appointed CBE in the 2014 Birthday Honours for services to engineering and scientific research. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1999. He was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2002.
- Anon (2017). "Delpy, Prof. David Thomas". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U13434. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- No regrets, says outgoing EPSRC chief David Delpy, Times Higher Education 2014-04-17
- Hillman, Elizabeth (2002). Experimental and theoretical investigations of near infrared tomographic imaging methods and clinical applications (PDF) (PhD thesis). University College London. OCLC 1000838839. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.268884. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "List of Fellows".
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- David Delpy's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Delpy, D. T.; Cope, M.; Zee, P. V. D.; Arridge, S.; Wray, S.; Wyatt, J. (1988). "Estimation of optical pathlength through tissue from direct time of flight measurement". Physics in Medicine and Biology. 33 (12): 1433–1442. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/33/12/008. PMID 3237772.
- Wray, S; Cope, M; Delpy, D. T.; Wyatt, J. S.; Reynolds, E. O. (1988). "Characterization of the near infrared absorption spectra of cytochrome aa3 and haemoglobin for the non-invasive monitoring of cerebral oxygenation". Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 933 (1): 184–92. doi:10.1016/0005-2728(88)90069-2. PMID 2831976.
- Arridge, S. R.; Schweiger, M; Hiraoka, M; Delpy, D. T. (1993). "A finite element approach for modeling photon transport in tissue". Medical Physics. 20 (2): 299–309. doi:10.1118/1.597069. PMID 8497214.
- Cope, M; Delpy, D. T. (1988). "System for long-term measurement of cerebral blood and tissue oxygenation on newborn infants by near infra-red transillumination". Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing. 26 (3): 289–94. doi:10.1007/bf02447083. PMID 2855531.
- Delpy, D.; Ankel-Simons, F; Chatrath, P. S.; Kay, R. S.; Williams, B; Fleagle, J. G.; Gebo, D. L.; Beard, C. K.; Dawson, M; Tattersall, I; Rose, K. D. (2009). "Peer review and impact statements vital to UK research". Nature. 460 (7254): 456. doi:10.1038/460456b.
- Delpy, David; Armitt, John (2011). "Physical sciences: Research council will support excellence". Nature. 479 (7373): 299. doi:10.1038/479299d.
- Bhattacharya, Ananyo (2012). "Science funding: Duel to the death. Physicists, chemists and mathematicians in the United Kingdom are furious about funding reforms that they say threaten blue-skies research". Nature. 488 (7409): 20–2. doi:10.1038/488020a. PMID 22859184.
- "New chair of the Defence Scientific Advisory Council". GOV.UK. 14 January 2014.
- "No. 60895". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2014. p. b9.
- "2008 Franklin medal and prize". Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Exclusive Interview: EPSRC's new chief executive, David Delpy", Chemistry World, 11 October 2007
- "EPSRC: mutual benefits undermined by war of all against all for funding", Paul Jump, Times Higher Education, 3 March 2011