This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: requires reorganising and copyediting (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michel in his studio in 2011
|Born||January 31, 1970|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, drums, bass, keys|
|Labels||TimeBomb Recordings US/MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada, Six Shooter, Cumbancha, Stonetree Records BZ|
Danny performed on Suzuki's Blue Dot tour and at David's 75th Birthday party.
In 2018 Danny wrote a post on social media explaining the math behind music streaming. The post went viral, sparking a national conversation about the realities of the modern music industry.
In 2019 Danny performed for Dr. Jane Goodall at her 85th birthday party.
Belize & The Garifuna CollectiveEdit
In 2011 Michel relocated to Central America Belize to record with The Garifuna Collective, an Afro-Amerindian cultural group, on the album Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me. The album landed a Juno Award nomination in the world music category and a sold-out summer tour of North America with The Garifuna Collective as his band. In June 2013, the album was long-listed for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize and released in Canada on Six Shooter Records and worldwide on Cumbancha Records.
The Ocean Academy School FundEdit
While in Belize, Michel created "The Danny Michel Ocean Academy Fund", helping raise scholarships for the Caye Caulker Community School, a small non-profit community high school in Belize. To date, he's raised over $85,000.00 for the school and volunteers there when he can.
The Arctic / Khlebnikov ProjectEdit
In 2017 he released Khlebnikov, a classical-based album written and recorded with film composer Robert Carli aboard the Russian ice-breaker, Kapitan Khlebnikov, during an 18-day Arctic expedition through the Northwest Passage with Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield and a collection of artists from around the world. He won two Canadian Folk Music Awards for Khlebnikov at the 13th Canadian Folk Music Awards, for Producer of the Year (with Carli) and the Pushing the Boundaries award.
Dan's Space VanEdit
Dan’s Space Van is a mobile web series created and hosted by Michel. The show takes place in an original customized 1978 GMC Vadura (airbrushed in 1980 in a Star Trek theme). The show features interesting people and musical guests who perform in the van. Past guests include Bahamas, Joel Plaskett, Sarah Harmer, Alan Doyle, Blue Rodeo, Barenaked Ladies, Fred Penner, Chris Hadfield, The Milk Carton Kids, Hawksley Workman, Steve Poltz, Kevin Briet, Irish Mythen, Alysha Brilla, Del Barber, Leeroy Stagger, Emm Gryner, Lindy Vopnfjord, Matt Mayes, 54-40, Dustin Bentall, Kendel Carson, Shane Koyczan, Barney Bental, Mark Lalama, Rose Cousins and more
Danny directs and films many of his own videos and recently shot his 1st short film called "The Circle"
1996 Won - Kitchener Waterloo Arts Awards
2003 Nominated - "New Artist of the Year" The Juno Awards
2007 Nominated - "Music dvd of The Year" The Juno Awards
2013 Nominated - "World Music Album Of The Year" The Juno Awards
2013 Nominated - Polaris Music Prize
2017 Won - "Producer of the Year" - Canadian Folk Music Awards
2017 Won - The Oliver Schroer "Pushing The Boundaries" Award - Canadian Folk Music Awards
- 1999 Fibsville - Independent
- 2001 In the Belly of a Whale - Independent
- 2003 Tales from the Invisible Man - Maple Music/Universal
- 2006 Valhalla - Maple Music/Universal
- 2008 Feather, Fur & Fin - Independent
- 2010 Sunset Sea - Independent
- 2012 Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me - Six Shooter Records/Stone Tree Records
- 2016 Matadora - Six Shooter Records
- 2017 Khlebnikov - Independent
- 2018 White & Gold - Independent
- Loving the Alien, The Songs Of David Bowie (2004) Maple Music/Universal
- DM & the Black Tornados Live DVD (2007) Independent
- Live in Winnipeg (2010) Independent
- Eisner, Ken (October 5, 2011). "Danny Michel finds a cause and Sunset Sea in Belize". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Saxberg, Lynn (March 28, 2013). "Great album's music doesn't suffer despite stripped-back approach". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 4, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Playlist for the Planet". davidsuzuki.org. David Suzuki Foundation. Archived from the original on March 25, 2012. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Canadian Folk Music Awards: Danny Michel leads winners on first night". Ottawa Citizen, November 18, 2017.
For Danny Michel, music (and life) is an adventure https://kawarthanow.com/2018/05/08/danny-michel/