Daniel Clive McCallum
Daniel Clive McCallum
|Genres||Film score, classical, experimental|
|Occupation(s)||Film music composer, conductor, orchestrator|
|Years active||2007 – present|
McCallum is the son of Ron McCallum, a noted Australian legal academic.
McCallum left traditional school at the age of 13 to study music at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. There, he studied musical composition, oboe, conducting, as well as traditional Australian instruments with William Barton. He was awarded the ABRSM scholarship in 2008 to study composition at the Royal Academy of Music. After graduating, McCallum went on to work with Howard Shore on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. McCallum is a prominent and awarded orchestrator. He orchestrated the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. For this, the production won a Sports Emmy Award. In 2019, McCallum orchestrated the new anthem for La Liga. McCallum was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2020 as part of the String Theory Artist Collective for his work on the album Sekou Andrews & The String Theory.
McCallum has also been commissioned to write many contemporary classical pieces. Notably, his works have been performed by the BBC Singers, the Philharmonia Orchestra, the Omega Ensemble in the Sydney Opera House, the Penrith Symphony Orchestra, the Sydney Sinfionetta, the Sonic Arts Ensemble, the London Contemporary Orchestra, the Crossroads Chamber Festival (performed by Paul Silverthorne), the Choir & Organ magazine, Ars Musica Australis, the Warringah Council, the Chronology Arts Ensemble, and the Royal Academy of Music.
- 2012: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (assistant orchestrator)
- 2014: The Smoke (orchestrator)
- 2015: The Mentors (composer) 
- 2015: Endless Night (orchestrator)
- 2015: Palm Trees in the Snow (orchestrator)
- 2016: 2016 Summer Olympics theme in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (orchestrator & arranger)
- 2016: No Panic, with a Hint of Hysteria (orchestrator)
- 2016: Penumbra (composer)
- 2016: Loving in Limbo (composer)
- 2016: Realive (orchestrator)
- 2017: Bruce!!!! (composer)
- 2018: King of Knives (composer)
- 2018: The Map to Paradise (composer) 
- 2018: The Tree of Blood
- 2018: Alegria, Tristeza (orchestrator)
- 2019: La Liga theme (orchestrator & arranger)
- 2019: Zero (orchestrator)
- 2019: Farewell (composer)
- 2020: The Crossroad (composer)
- 2021: Wild Game (composer)
- 2022: Vindication Swim (composer) 
Awards & NominationsEdit
- Sports Emmy Award, 2017 
- Best Original Score, LA Crime and Horror Film Festival 
- Best Original Score, Independent Shorts Awards 
- "Daniel Clive McCallum".
- Pond, Steve (30 March 2017). "Rio Olympics Take First Place in Sports Emmy Nominations".
- "Film composer | Daniel Clive McCallum | Biography". danielclivemccallum.
- "Daniel Clive McCallum". Oak Tree Group.
- Lang, Jamie (24 July 2019). "Spanish Soccer Launches La Liga Anthem at High Profile Madrid Presentation".
- "Sekou Andrews & The String Theory". 24 July 2019.
- "Daniel Clive McCallum". Daniel Clive McCallum.
- "Omega Ensemble Commissions". Omega Ensemble.
- "Penrith Symphony Orchestra's Mozart Coronation Mass". Facebook.
- "Artist Overview: Daniel Clive McCallum". CD Baby.
- "Featured Composer: Daniel Clive McCallum". Plexus Collective.
- "Featured Composer: Daniel Clive McCallum" (PDF). Melbourne Composer League.
- "Daniel McCallum and Virginia Rockwell". The Malibu Times.
- "The Mentors: A New Series You Can Watch For Free!". Lewis Black.
- "Martin Sheen Boards Documentary 'The Map to Paradise' as Exec Producer". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Hasler, Elliott (1 August 2019). "What it's like to be the UK's Youngest Film Director".
- "LA Crime and Horror Film Festival Award Winners". 24 July 2019.
- "Independent Shorts Awards Festival Winners". December 2019.
- "The Map to Paradise (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)".
- "Bruce!!!! (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)".
- "Loving in Limbo (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)".