Daniel Carlson (American football)
Daniel Vilhelm Carlson (born January 23, 1995) is an American football placekicker for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Auburn and is the all time scoring leader in the Southeastern Conference (SEC). Carlson was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He is currently the tallest kicker in the NFL.
|No. 8 – Oakland Raiders|
|Born:||January 23, 1995|
Colorado Springs, Colorado
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||The Classical Academy|
(Colorado Springs, Colorado)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 5 / Pick: 167|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Carlson was born on January 23, 1995 to Hans and Jodie Carlson. Carlson has an older brother Nils and a younger brother Anders.
High school careerEdit
Carlson was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round (167th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. He was one of two kickers to be drafted that year, the other being Jason Sanders by the Miami Dolphins.
In the offseason, he competed with veteran kicker Kai Forbath. Carlson won the job, and Forbath was released by the team on August 20, 2018. He made his NFL debut in the season opener against the San Francisco 49ers and converted all three extra point attempts and one field goal attempt. On September 16, 2018 in a game against the Green Bay Packers, Carlson missed one field goal in regulation and two in overtime resulting in a 29-29 tie. The following day, Carlson was waived and replaced by veteran Dan Bailey.
Carlson was signed by the Oakland Raiders on October 23, 2018, after releasing fellow rookie kicker Matt McCrane. In his Raiders' debut in Week 8, he converted all four extra point attempts in a 42–28 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. In Week 11, Carlson made two extra points and three field goals, including a 35-yard game winner as time expired, in a 23-21 win over the Arizona Cardinals, earning him AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
- "A kicker's story: How Daniel Carlson found greatness at Auburn". AuburnUndercover. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Kaniewski, Scott. "TCA's Daniel Carlson up for national award for charitable acts". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "'Turncoat' Carlson represents Auburn's best chance of beating Alabama".
- Vitale, Josh (October 7, 2017). "Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson breaks career SEC scoring record". oanow.com. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Bergman, Jeremy (April 28, 2018). "Vikings trade two picks to draft kicker Daniel Carlson". NFL.com. Retrieved May 6, 2018.
- "2018 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Smith, Eric (August 20, 2018). "Vikings Release Forbath, Place Aruna on IR, Announce Other Moves". Vikings.com.
- "Cousins, Vikings sharp in season-opening win". Bemidji Pioneer. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Vikings-Packers Ends in 29-29 Tie After Rookie Carlson Misses 2 Kicks in Overtime". KSTP. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Vikings Sign WR Aldrick Robinson, Waive K Daniel Carlson". Vikings.com. September 17, 2018.
- "Raiders Announce Transactions - 10.23.18". Raiders.com. October 23, 2018.
- "Raiders' Daniel Carlson: Collects four points in Raiders debut". CBSSports.com. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Knoblach, Austin (November 21, 2018). "Samson Ebukam, Saquon Barkley among Players of the Week". NFL.com.
- "'I liked her, and she liked me back': Auburn's star kicker prepares for his wedding day". The Auburn Plainsman. Retrieved October 2, 2018.