D. Fairchild Ruggles
Dede Fairchild Ruggles is a historian of Islamic art and architecture, and a professor of landscape architecture at the University of Illinois. She is known for her books on Islamic gardens and landscapes, for which she has won the J. B. Jackson Book Prize and the Allen G. Noble Book Award.
D. Fairchild Ruggles gained her bachelor's degree cum laude in Visual and Environmental Studies at Harvard University. She gained her master's degree and doctorate in History of Art at the University of Pennsylvania.
Awards and distinctionsEdit
In 2009, the Foundation for Landscape Studies awarded Ruggles the J. B. Jackson Book Prize for her Islamic Gardens and Landscapes.
Also in 2009, the International Society for Landscape, Place, & Material Culture awarded Ruggles and her co-author Dianne Harris the Allen G. Noble Book Award for their Sites Unseen: Landscape and Vision.
Margaret Morris, reviewing Islamic Gardens and Landscapes for Muslim Heritage, states that it "looks thematically at Islamic gardens and cultivated landscapes, placing them on a continuous spectrum with the city and architecture at one end and nature and wilderness at the other." She calls it "a book of impressive scope."
- (2000) Gardens, Landscape, and Vision in the Palaces of Islamic Spain
- (2008) Islamic Gardens and Landscapes
- (2000) Women, Patronage, and Self-Representation in Islamic Societies
- (2007) Sites Unseen: Landscape and Vision (with Diane Harris)
- (2007) Cultural Heritage and Human Rights
- (2009) Intangible Heritage Embodied
- (2011) Islamic Art and Visual Culture: An Anthology of Sources
- (2012) On Location
- (2014) Woman's Eye, Woman's Hand: Making Art and Architecture in Modern India
- (2017) Sound and Scent in the Garden
- "D. Fairchild Ruggles | Professor of art, architecture and landscape history | University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign". Center for the Study of the Built Environment. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "D. Fairchild Ruggles, Ph.D." University of Illinois. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Islamic Gardens and Landscapes | D. Fairchild Ruggles". University of Pennsylvania Press. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "Allen G. Noble Book Award". International Society for Landscape, Place, & Material Culture. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- Morris, Margaret. "Book Review of 'Islamic Gardens and Landscapes' by D. Fairchild Ruggles". Retrieved 10 February 2018.