Czech national cricket team
The Czech national cricket team, nicknamed the Lions, is the team that represents the Czech Republic in international cricket. The team is organised by the Czech Republic Cricket Union (Českomoravský Kriketový Svaz), which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2000 and an associate member in 2017. The national side did not debut until 2006, when it played a series against Austria. It made its international tournament debut in 2008, at a Twenty20 tournament in Wales, and has since participated regularly in international events, including some organised by the European Cricket Council.
|Association||Czech Republic Cricket Union|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international||v Austria at Vienna, Austria, 29 July 2006|
|First T20I||v Austria at Moara Vlasiei Cricket Ground, Moara Vlăsiei, 30 August 2019|
|Last T20I||v Malta at Marsa Sports Club, Marsa; 20 October 2019|
|As of 20 October 2019|
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Czech Republic and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
In June 2008, an unofficial national team from the Czech Republic came second in an ICC supported Euro Twenty 20 tournament which took place at the Carmel & District Cricket Club in Wales. They were beaten by Estonia with 3 balls remaining in the final over after beating Russia and a Cricket Board of Wales team in the group stage, and a team representing Poland in the semi-final.
In August 2008, the Czech Republic hosted the Prague International Twenty 20 cricket cup at their former Vypich ground. Teams from Russia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria joined a team representing the Czech Republic in this 2-day Twenty 20 event. Unfortunately, the team from Belarus was unable to attend due to visa complications and their place was filled by a Czech B team.
2009: First official tournamentEdit
In September 2009, the Czech Republic participated for the first time in the ICC European Division 5 Championship in Corfu, finishing a respectable third (defeating Bulgaria, Turkey and Estonia) behind Sweden and the tournament winners, Greece.
In May 2011, the team took part in the ICC Europe Division 3 Championship in the newly structured format. They lost narrowly to Bulgaria but three wickets apiece from Brigham Smith and Scott Page restricted Estonia to 100 all out, which the Czech team chased down thanks to an unbeaten 33 from wicket-keeper Mik Starý. Turkey and tournament winners Sweden beat the Czech team in the next two matches, but a 23-run victory over tournament hosts Slovenia in the last match helped the Czech team to finish fourth overall.
The highlight of 2012 was a trip to Budapest, Hungary, to face their central European rivals on Hungary's impressive cricket ground. The Czech team were comprehensively beaten in the Saturday 40-over friendly, but they came back well to win the 20-over friendly on Sunday by four runs, with young bowler Damian Kyselý taking three wickets in an impressive display. Captain Scott Page stepped up and bowled an ideal final over to seal the win. In 2013, a plan to host Hungary at the new field in Vinoř, Prague, was abandoned due to bad weather. The team played one T20 in Vienna, losing by 87 runs to Austria.
2014 saw an increase in fixtures, with trips to Vienna and Dresden as well as hosting the Central Europe Cup, with T20 matches against Poland, Switzerland and Luxembourg. The match in Austria finished in another crushing defeat, this time to Austria's U25s. The trip to Dresden saw the team pick up a two-wicket win in a 50-over friendly against Dresden's 1st XI. Young bowler Oliver Matoušek picked up five wickets in his representative debut for the Lions, and Suditha Udugalage and Rahul Subash batted well to see the team home.
The Central Europe Cup ended with the team finishing bottom of the table, but the Czech team were the only team to beat champions Poland, and the Czech Republic also gave Switzerland a good run for their money before rain affected play, with Switzerland capitalising to take victory. A lacklustre Czech team then lost to a resurgent Luxembourg team on Sunday morning.
The Czech team were awarded the tournament's Spirit of Cricket award for wanting to play out the full match against Switzerland, despite being ahead on the Duckworth–Lewis method at the time. Opening batsmen Sudhir Gladson and Hilal Ahmad received man of the match awards for their performances against Poland and Switzerland, respectively.
2016- Played Central Europe Cup in Prague and traveled to Poland to play one-day tri-series with Poland, Hungary national teams. "Czech National Team Winner OD tri-series cup 2016".
2017- In 2017 a number of reforms regarding Associate Members and pathways to ICC tournaments were announced and due to the progress we have made in our domestic leagues the Czech Republic will return to ICC tournament cricket in August 2018 at the ICC. World T20 Europe Qualifiers in The Netherlands. Czech National Team played CE cup in Czech Republic, Euro T20 cup in Warsaw Poland
2018- Played Central Europe Cup in Prague and traveled to Luxembourg. The Czech National Team will participate in ICC World T20 Europe Qualifiers in Netherlands from 29 August - 3 September 2018. Czech side are in group C along with Israel, Norway, Sweden, Gibraltar, Guernsey.
International Match Summary — Czech RepublicLast updated 20 October 2019.
|Twenty20 Internationals||7||5||2||0||0||29 August 2019|
- Highest team total: 278/4 v. Turkey on 30 August 2019 at Moara Vlasiei Cricket Ground, Moara Vlăsiei.
- Highest individual score: 104*, Sudesh Wickramasekara v. Turkey on 30 August 2019 at Moara Vlasiei Cricket Ground, Moara Vlăsiei.
- Best individual bowling figures: 4/15, Sabawoon Davizi v. Malta on 20 October 2019 at Marsa Sports Club, Marsa.
Most T20I runs for Czech Republic 
Most T20I wickets for Czech Republic 
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #945. Last updated 20 October 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|Austria||2||0||2||0||0||30 August 2019|
|Luxembourg||1||1||0||0||0||1 September 2019||1 September 2019|
|Malta||2||2||0||0||0||18 October 2019||18 October 2019|
|Romania||1||1||0||0||0||31 August 2019||31 August 2019|
|Turkey||1||1||0||0||0||30 August 2019||30 August 2019|
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2020 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "The Home of CricketArchive". Cricketarchive.co.uk.
- Other matches played by Czech Republic – CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Continental Cricket Cup 2019". Facebook (Cricket Romania). Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "eurotwenty20.eu". eurotwenty20.eu.
- "Blogs: Prague International Twenty20 Cricket Cup 2008 | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo". Blogs.cricinfo.com. 29 August 2008.
- "ICC Europe Division 5, 2009". Cricket Europe. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014.
- "ICC Europe Division 3, 2011". Cricket Europe. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014.
- "Central Europe Cup". www.czechcricket.cz. 8 September 2014.
- "Lions suffer defeat in Austria". www.czechcricket.cz. 7 July 2014.
- "Five for Matoušek as Czechs win in Dresden". www.czechcricket.cz. 25 August 2014.
- "Czech National Team - Lions Vs Poland National Team - Twenty20". play-cricket.com. 8 September 2014.
- "Czech National Team - Lions Vs Switzerland National Team - Twenty20". play-cricket.com. 8 September 2014.
- "Records / Czech Republic / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Records / Czech Reoublic / Twenty20 Internationals / Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Records / Czech Republic / Twenty20 Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Records / Czech Republic / Twenty20 Internationals / Best bowling figures". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Records / Czech Republic / Twenty20 Internationals / Most runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Records / Czech Republic / Twenty20 Internationals / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 May 2019.