Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) is a surgical procedure that aims to reduce the amount of cancer cells in the abdominal cavity for patients with tumors that have spread intraabdominally (peritoneal carcinomatosis). It is often used to treat ovarian cancer but can also be used for other abdominal malignancies.
Its main developer was Paul Sugarbaker who is known for the development of cytoreductive surgery followed by hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, or HIPEC, a treatment alternately referred to as the Sugarbaker Procedure.
Ovarian cancer edit
Among patients with stage III epithelial ovarian cancer, the addition of HIPEC to interval cytoreductive surgery resulted in longer recurrence-free survival and overall survival than surgery alone and did not result in higher rates of side effects.
Colorectal cancer edit
Among colorectal cancer patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis cytoreductive surgery, with the addition of HIPEC can be used to prolong overall survival in patients. 
- Neuwirth, Madalyn G.; Alexander, H. Richard; Karakousis, Giorgos C. (February 1, 2016). "Then and now: cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), a historical perspective". Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 7 (1): 18–28. doi:10.3978/j.issn.2078-6891.2015.106. ISSN 2078-6891. PMC 4754315. PMID 26941981.
- Pollack, Andrew (2011-08-11). "Heated, Harrowing Chemotherapy Bath May Be Only Hope for Some". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- Wilber, Del Quentin (2012-11-25). "Surgeon performs controversial cancer surgery named after him". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- van Driel, Willemien J.; Koole, Simone N.; Sikorska, Karolina; Schagen van Leeuwen, Jules H.; Schreuder, Henk W.R.; Hermans, Ralph H.M.; de Hingh, Ignace H.J.T.; van der Velden, Jacobus; Arts, Henriëtte J. (2018-01-18). "Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer". New England Journal of Medicine. 378 (3): 230–240. doi:10.1056/nejmoa1708618. hdl:1874/364110. ISSN 0028-4793. PMID 29342393.
- Huang, Chao-Qun; Min, Yao; Wang, Shu-Yi; Yang, Xiao-Jun; Liu, Yang; Xiong, Bin; Yonemura, Yutaka; Li, Yan (2017-08-15). "Cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy improves survival for peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of current evidence". Oncotarget. 8 (33): 55657–55683. doi:10.18632/oncotarget.17497. ISSN 1949-2553. PMC 5589691. PMID 28903452.