Cyborg art, also known as cyborgism, is an art movement that began in the mid-2000s in Britain. It is based on the creation and addition of new senses to the body via cybernetic implants and the creation of art works through new senses. Cyborg artworks are created by cyborg artists; artists whose senses have been voluntarily enhanced through cybernetic implants. Among the early artists shaping the cyborg art movement are Neil Harbisson, whose antenna implant allows him to perceive ultraviolet and infrared colours, and Moon Ribas whose implants in her feet allow her to feel earthquakes and moonquakes. Other cyborg artists include:
- Manel De Aguas, a Catalan photographer who developed and installed a barometric system in his head that allows him to perceive atmospheric pressure changes.
- Joe Dekni, an artist who has developed and installed a radar system in his head. The sensory system includes two implants in his cheekbones.
- Pau Prats, creator of a system that allows him to feel the ultraviolet ray levels that reach his skin.
- Alex Garcia, whose sensor installed in his chest allows him to feel the air quality levels around him.
- Kai Landre, a musician developing two implants to hear the sound of the particles affected by the collusion of cosmic rays.
- Barbato, Massimo (2016-01-19). "The Art of Cybernetic Union - SERIOUS WONDER". Serious Wonder. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Jeffries, Stuart "Neil Harbisson, the world's first cyborg artist", The Guardian, 5 May 2014
- "I Don't Have Artificial Body Parts, I Have Artistic Body Parts". The Huffington Post. 2015-03-12. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Else, Liz "Cyborg makes art using seventh sense", The New Scientist, 29 June 2012
- Alexander, Neta (2015-05-26). "They Dance the Body Electric: Cyborg Artists Land in Central Israel". Haaretz. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Lee, Jennifer "A Surgical Implant for Seeing Colors Through Sound", The New York Times, 2 July 2012
- NBC, "Last Call with Carson Daly" Archived 2016-04-12 at the Wayback Machine, 29 September 2014
- Garcia, Gabriella "The woman who can feel every earthquake in the world", "Hopes&Fears", 17 de octubre 2015.
- Davis, Sally. “Encounters with the Posthuman”, Nautilus, 29 April 2013.
- Gabilondo, Pablo "El catalán que va a implantarse un barómetro para predecir el tiempo: "Quiero ser cíborg", El Confidencial, 13 August 2017
- "A new Cyborg is Born, by Joe Dekni | momo-mag". www.momo-mag.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- 20Minutos (2019-02-12). "Vídeo: El chico ultravioleta". 20minutos.es - Últimas Noticias (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- "Meet Pau Prats, the cyborg with a radiation sensing organ". Biohackinfo. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- "La vida de los ciborgs: El adolescente que siente la contaminación". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- Graafstra, Viktoria Modesta, Neil Harbisson, Amal (2018-09-06). "Designing our bodies for the future". CNN Style. Retrieved 2019-07-06.