Cubic Transportation Systems
This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (August 2016)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cubic Transportation Systems is an American company, founded in 1951, and is a leading integrator of payment information and related services for intelligent travel applications. It is headquartered in San Diego, California, with offices in North America, Europe, India, and Australia. It is a unit of Cubic Corporation that designs, integrates and operates systems, products and services focused in the transportation, defense training and secure communications markets.
Number of employees
Products and servicesEdit
- Ticket machines
- Smartcard readers
- Fare-collection gates
- Revenue management services
- Account-based: Chicago's Ventra and London Oyster Cards are two of Cubic's account-based products.
- Devices: NextAgent is a concept in transport ticketing using high-speed video links enabling customers to interact with ticketing staff in real-time. It is a solution for transport operators to respond to significant trends in ticketing and allows them to balance request in a cost-effective manner by locating ticketing in centralized ticketing "hubs".
- Transit customer support
- Management services to transit agencies
- Real-time passenger information
- Operational planning assistance
- Traffic management
- Predictive analytics
- Cubic's subsidiary, Urban Insights, provides the predictive analytics business.
- Cubic created an integrated payment processing, customer service, and financial management platform for the tolling industry.
- Operational IT services
- Asset management services
- Services include field maintenance, device support, depot repair and part supply, spares and obsolescence, and cash collection.
Cubic has delivered over 400 projects in 40 markets on five continents. Cubic first implemented mobile ticketing technology in 2006 (one year prior to the launch of the iPhone and two years prior to the launch of Android) and now produces multiple mobile fare collection options, including mobile ticketing through barcoding, NFC tools, contact and contactless smartcard payments, and traditional automated fare collection systems. As of 2015, Cubic processes more than 24 billion transactions a year.
Fare Collection ProjectsEdit
- 2017 - New York OMNY
- 2013 - Vancouver Compass Card; Chicago Ventra Card
- 2012 - Sydney Opal card; London Future Ticketing agreement
- 2011 - So. Florida EASY Card; PATCO Open Payment Pilot including Google Wallet acceptance
- 2010 - MTC Clipper card; Skane, So. Sweden; Maryland MTA CharmCard
- 2009 - San Diego Compass Card; Miami EASY Card; Modena, Italy
- 2008 - Los Angeles Transit Access Pass; Brisbane go card
- 2007 - PATH SmartLink; PATCO Freedom Card
- 2006 - MARTA Breeze Card; RMV/KVV Mobile Ticketing
- 2005 - Minneapolis Go-To card
- 2004 - BART EZ Rider (San Francisco Bay area)
- 2003 - London Oyster card
- 2002 - Chicago ChicagoCard
- 1991 - New York MetroCard
- 1999 - WMATA SmarTrip (Washington, DC area)
- Wright, Ann (March 3, 2011). "Cubic Transportation Systems offers to take on myki". Herald Sun. news.com.au. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "NVV picks Cubic Transportation for mobile ticketing service". telecompaper. 15 November 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Cubic Transportation Systems wins Oyster ticket machine tender" (Press release). Association of Train Operating Companies. 23 May 2006. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "About Us | Cubic Corporation". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Transportation Systems (India) Launches Smart Card Trial". Bloomberg (Press release). 8 December 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Cubic Corporation > Transportation > Solutions". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Corporation > Transportation > Services". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "NextAgent Ticket Office Brochure PDF" (PDF).
- "NextBus > Home". nextbus.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Corporation > Transportation > Solutions > Traffic Management". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "About Us > Urban Insights". urban-insights.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Corporation > Transportation > Solutions > Tolling". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Corporation > Transportation > Services > Asset Management". www.cubic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Cubic Transportation Systems, NextWave Brochure" (PDF).
- “Cities Can Use Big Data to Find Out What They Really Don’t Know”. NextCity (Article). 25 August 2015.
- “Nightmare Metro Commutes Aside, DC Is Ramping up Its Transit Tech”. DCInno (Article). 21 August 2015.
- “Creator of London’s Oyster card could be myki savior”. The Age (Article). 17 June 2015.
- “Six Awards and Counting! Cubic et al Can’t be Stopped”. Tech Co. (Article). 12 June 2015.
- “Cubic Transportation Systems Wins Major International Bid”. Tech Co. (Article). 8 May 2015.
- “London's Transit Payments Light the Way for Other Regions”. PaymentsSource (Article). 14 April 2015.
- “Buy Metra Tickets and Reload a Ventra Account With Upcoming App”. Streetsblog Chicago (Article). 10 April 2015.
- “Cubic taps Masterpass for mobile travel ticketing app”. Pymnts.com (Article). 4 March 2015.
- “Transport ticketing innovations recognized”. Passenger Transport (Article). 12 February 2015.
- “Cubic Brings NextCity Strategy to Chicago Transit”. PaymentsSource (Article). 16 December 2014.
- “Connect 3.0 Names San Diego’s Most Innovative Products of 2014”. Xconomy (Article). 5 December 2014.
- “A Sneak Peek at America’s Finest Tech Products”. San Diego 6 (Article). 4 December 2014.
- “Future of travel: Commuter apps that solve problems before the trip starts”. Washington Post (Article). 5 November 2014.
- “Los Angeles Metro taps Cubic for TAP upgrade”. Railway Age (Article). 29 October 2014.
- “Apple's Plan To Kill Your Wallet Is Even More Ambitious Than You Realize”. Business Insider (Article). 27 October 2014.
- “Apple Eyes New Uses for NFC Beyond iPhone Payments”. The Information (Article). 27 October 2014.
- “Apple Pay your train ticket and office ID tips report”. Slashgear (Article). 27 October 2014.
- “ITS World Congress 2014 Thinking Aloud Show 2”. Thinking Highways (Podcast). 11 September 2014.
- “ITS World Congress 2014 Thinking Aloud Show 4”. Thinking Highways (Podcast). 11 September 2014.
- “TfL picks Cubic for £660m front office deal”. Government Computing (Article). 11 August 2014.
- “Cubic Awarded Over $8 Million Contract for Washington Metro SmarTrip® Sale and Reload Devices”. Metro Magazine (Article). 29 July 2014.
- “Transit's New Payment Routes”. Digital Transactions (Newsletter Article). July 2014.
- “Cubic's Transportation Systems Gets $7.5 Million Deal”. San Diego Business Journal (Article). 24 April 2014.
- “Cubic expands Bay Area Clipper card network”. San Diego Union Tribune (Article). 23 April 2014.
- “Make Sure Riders Pay Their Fare Share”. Mass Transit (Article). 7 March 2014.
- “Effectively Using Data”. Mass Transit (Article). 7 March 2014.
- “Here’s to You, MBTA Bus-Tracking Apps”. Boston Magazine (Article). 22 January 2014.