Crippled Black Phoenix
Crippled Black Phoenix is a rock group from the United Kingdom centred around the multi-instrumentalist Justin Greaves. Several musicians have contributed to Crippled Black Phoenix's albums and played with them during their live shows. The band have released nine studio albums, one mini album, two EPs and a number of singles.
Crippled Black Phoenix
Crippled Black Phoenix at the Roadburn Festival 2017
|Origin||United Kingdom, Sweden|
|Genres||Progressive rock, post-rock, ambient, experimental rock, neo-psychedelia|
|Labels||Invada, Domino, Mascot Label Group, Season of Mist|
|Associated acts||Electric Wizard, Hearts of Black Science, Gonga, Iron Monkey, Mogwai, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Scarlatti Tilt, Se Delan|
Members of the band used to play in other bands (including Iron Monkey, Gonga, Mogwai, Electric Wizard, Hearts of Black Science and others). In 2004, Justin Greaves began recording primitive sounds he had had in mind for years. He was encouraged by Dominic Aitchison, and their ideas would lay the backbone for Crippled Black Phoenix. The name of the band was taken from the lyrics (by Johnny Morrow of Iron Monkey), of "Big Loader," a song on the debut album Iron Monkey.
Although originally having an unorthodox start, since all the band members were part of and busy with other projects at the time of the band's founding, Crippled Black Phoenix remained committed to staying together and forged their sound. The band writes what they call "endtime ballads," signifying both the slightly macabre nature of their songs and their unusual blend of styles as the final evolution in music. This blend has led to them being called everything from stoner-prog to freak-folk to doom.
Crippled Black Phoenix have made live shows a focus and have performed in unusual venues, using Victorian-era instruments in tandem with more modern instruments. From December 2014, Justin Greaves and former guitarist Karl Demata were engaged in a legal dispute over the registered trademark of the band's name. In the second half of 2015 the issue was resolved and Greaves announced a new line-up of the band that included Daniel Änghede (vocals, guitars), Mark Furnevall (keyboards), Ben Wilsker (drums), Daisy Chapman (piano/vocals) Jonas Stålhammar (lead guitar), Tom Greenway (bass) and Belinda Kordic (vocals). This sextet recorded the Oh' Ech-oes EP that included covers of the Pink Floyd songs "Echoes" and "Childhood's End".
Kordic and Greaves formed the duo Se Delan and released the album The Fall on Kscope in April 2014.
Collaborators, former members and live musiciansEdit
- A Love of Shared Disasters (2006 Invada records)
- 200 Tons of Bad Luck (2009)
- The Resurrectionists / Night Raider (2008/2009 Invada Records)
- I, Vigilante (2010 Invada Records)
- (Mankind) The Crafty Ape (2011 Mascot Music Production)
- No Sadness or Farewell (2012 Mascot Music Production)
- White Light Generator (2014)
- Bronze (2016) 
- Horrific Honorifics (2017 Artists Musicians Outlaws)
- Destroy Freak Valley (2017)
- Great Escape (2018 Season of Mist)
- "2012 interview" Tom McKibbin, 'Justin Greaves: Interview With The Infamous Musician', The Sleeping Shaman, 11 October 2012
- "Crippled Black Phoenix". Myspace. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- "Crippled Black Phoenix". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Crippled Black Phoenix: A Love of Shared Disasters Album Review". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- "A Love of Shared Disasters - Crippled Black Phoenix". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- Sutton, Dave (12 October 2011). "Interview with Justin Greaves (Crippled Black Phoenix)". Love It Loud.com. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Sheffield, Hazel (11 May 2009). "Crippled Black Phoenix: Onward Christian Soldiers, Marching As Unto War". The Quietus. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Artist listing: Crippled Black Phoenix Archived 2008-07-26 at the Wayback Machine from Drowned in Sound
- Crippled Black Phoenix Biography
- Lach, Stef (2014-12-19). "Supergroup members take swipes at each other in row over band's name". TeamRock. Team Rock Limited. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "Crippled Black Phoenix launch Childhoods End". TeamRock. 2015-08-20. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Crippled Black Phoenix / Se Delan - Oh'Ech-oes". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Introducing SE DELAN: New Duo Featuring Justin Greaves Of Crippled Black Phoenix Announce Debut Album". The Sleeping Shaman. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- . Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "White Light Generator – Track listing". Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- " » BRONZE is released today!". Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "‘Horrific Honorifics’ a new release by CBP!" Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- "Destroy Freak Valley on CBP's Bandcamp". Retrieved October 15, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crippled Black Phoenix.|