Crime & Investigation (Canada)
Crime & Investigation is a Canadian English-language Category A specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment which presents movies, television series, and documentaries of the crime, mystery and suspense genres. Its name is licensed by A&E Networks, owners of the U.S. Crime & Investigation Network.
|Crime & Investigation|
|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Website||Crime + Investigation Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 638 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 595 (SD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 558 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 638 (SD)
Channel 1638 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 164 (SD)
Channel 1164 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9380 (SD)
Channel 380 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 85 (SD)
Channel 385 (HD)
|Vmedia||Channel 276 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 98 (SD)|
The channel was licensed as 13th Street by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) on November 24, 2000 to Canwest (45.05%), Groupe TVA (45.05%) and Rogers Communications (9.9%). Before the channel's launch, both Canwest and Groupe TVA acquired Rogers' shares in the service equally. The channel was described as "a national English-language Category 1 specialty television service devoted to mystery and suspense programming. The service will nurture and encourage short form Canadian mysteries. It will provide a wide assortment of genre-specific programs including movies, television series, short films and documentaries that will focus exclusively on the delivery of entertaining programming on suspense, espionage and classic mysteries."
The channel was launched as Mystery On September 7, 2001. TVA, Canwest and Rogers also owned the same shares of its French counterpart, Mystère, which would become wholly owned by TVA before launch. The channel was rebranded as Mystery TV in 2007, though the channel was still referred to as "Mystery" on-air.
On October 27, 2010, Shaw Communications completed its acquisition of Canwest, giving it control of Canwest's 50% interest in Mystery TV. On December 22, 2011, Groupe TVA announced its intentions to sell its share of The Cave (now H2) and Mystery TV to Shaw Communications, giving Shaw full control of these two channels. The deal was approved by the CRTC on April 25, 2012.
It was reported in June 2014 that Mystery TV, along with sister network Twist TV, would be rebranded as Canadian versions of the Crime & Investigation Network and FYI, respectively, under a licensing agreement with A+E Networks. They are the fourth and fifth networks to be rebranded after History Television, Showcase Diva and The Cave were rebranded as Canadian versions of History, Lifetime and H2 respectively in 2012.
- The Blacklist
- Cold Squad
- Combat Hospital
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
- Hawaii Five-0
- Killer Kids
- Las Vegas
- Law & Order
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- Lost Girl
- NCIS: Los Angeles
- Rookie Blue
- Surviving Evil
- To Serve and Protect
- The Haunting Of...
- Under the Dome
- Note: series list is current as of May 2015.
Crime + Investigation HDEdit
In February 2016, Shaw launched Crime + Investigation HD, a 1080i high definition simulcast of the standard definition feed. The HD feed is currently available on Bell Fibe TV, Bell MTS and Rogers Cable.
- Decision CRTC 2000-449 CRTC 2000-12-14
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media[dead link]
- TVA selling two specialty channels to Shaw Media; financial terms not disclosed Archived July 20, 2012, at Archive.is
- Decision CRTC 2012-238 CRTC 2012-04-25
- Shaw Media announces fall lineup, pushes new dramas on Global
- "Shaw Media and A&E to Launch Two New Specialty Channels". Broadcaster Magazine. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "SHAW MEDIA LAUNCHES TWO DYNAMIC NEW CHANNELS TO CANADA'S LEADING LINEUP OF SPECIALTY BRANDS". June 4, 2014. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Shaw Media's Mystery TV Rebrands to Crime + Investigation". October 3, 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media". Retrieved April 2, 2016.