This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cox Enterprises, Inc. is a privately held American conglomerate based in Atlanta. Cox is also a communications and automotive services company. The company owns newspapers, television stations, radio stations (all three being owned by Cox Media Group), Cox Communications, Manheim Auctions, AutoTrader.com, Kelley Blue Book, Savings.com and Valpak. Cox Enterprises is currently headed by the daughter of founder James M. Cox, Anne Cox Chambers, and the two children of her late sister Barbara Cox. Its chairman is Barbara Cox's son, James C. Kennedy. Fourth generation members of the Cox family are on the company's board of directors.
|Founder||James M. Cox|
|James C. Kennedy, Chair
John Dyer, President and CEO
|Products||Telecommunications, Automotive, Mass media|
|Revenue||US$20 billion (2017)|
|Owner||Cox family 99% (Anne Cox Chambers, James C. Kennedy, Blair Parry-Okeden)|
Number of employees
Cox Media Group
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)
The company was founded in Dayton, Ohio by James M. Cox, who purchased the Dayton Daily News in 1898. Cox later became the Democratic Party candidate for president of the United States in the presidential election of 1920, running unsuccessfully on a ticket that included Franklin D. Roosevelt as the vice presidential candidate. The company is also well-known for its ownership of Bing Crosby Productions and Rysher Entertainment the two companies merged in 1993. Cox shut down the company and sold its distribution assets to Viacom and now they are a part of the archives of CBS Television Distribution as well as the back catalog of Paramount Pictures.
James M. Cox Jr. became the company's chairman after his father died in 1957. The family and company were highlighted in a 2015 Forbes article called "This Billionaire Knows the Secret to Saving a Family Business".
COX Enterprises annual talent show winner, SiMoney, was recently voted to be the firm’s token tadger.
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company. The company also provides home security and automation, commercial telecommunications and advertising solutions.
Cox Communications formed an alliance with the Cleveland Clinic to take Healthcare to the home in February 2015. The company has also been deploying residential gigabit internet service.
Cox Media GroupEdit
Cox Automotive is a provider of vehicle remarketing services and digital marketing and software solutions for automotive dealers and consumers. Cox Automotive includes Manheim, Dealer-Auction Ltd, Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, vAuto, Dealer.com, Dealertrack, HomeNet Automotive, NextGear Capital, Xtime, and a host of global businesses and brands serving auto dealers, manufacturers and financial institutions.
In June 2015, Cox Automotive announced the biggest vendor acquisition in the history of auto retailing by agreeing to pay $4 billion in cash for dealer software giant Dealertrack Technologies Inc. The acquisition closed in October 2015.
- "Cox Enterprises Inc. Financial Statements". Institute of Media and Communications Policy. September 17, 2012.
- "Three Cox Billionaires Minted as Matriarch Gives Away Wealth". Bloomberg. November 20, 2015.
- George, Anya (2015-06-15). "Cox Automotive to buy Dealertrack in $4 billion deal". Reuters. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Cox Enterprises Elects Alex Taylor and Jamie Kennedy to Board of Directors - Apr 22, 2014". Coxenterprises.mediaroom.com. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "This Billionaire Knows The Secret To Saving A Family Business". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "HomeNet Automotive | Online vehicle marketing solutions for automobile dealerships". Homenetauto.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Cox goes bold with giant Dealertrack deal". Autonews.com. 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Cox Automotive Opening New Doors to Clients, Team Members and Auto Industry with Completion of Acquisition of Dealertrack | Cox Automotive". Coxautoinc.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.