Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg (born: March 1537- died: 6 July 1579 in Dillenburg) was the daughter of Landgrave George III, Landgrave of Leuchtenberg and Margravine Barbara of Brandenburg-Ansbach (1495-1552).
Countess Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg
|Died||6 July 1579|
|Spouse(s)||John VI of Nassau-Dillenburg|
|Father||George III, Landgrave of Leuchtenberg|
|Mother||Margravine Barbara of Brandenburg-Ansbach-Kulmbach|
After her death, the German theologian Christoph Pezel wrote an obituary about her.
At least two portraits of Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg exist. The first is in the collection of the Rijksmuseum in the form of an anonymous picture, made between 1850 and 1930, a reproduction of a painting by an unknown painter. The second is a drawing in circular shape.
Another portrait, also made by an anonymous painter, was initially identified as portrait of Charlotte of Bourbon, but it was later identified by L.J. van der Klooster as possibly Elisabeth van Leuchtenberg.
Possibly Elisabeth van Leuchtenberg. She is wearing a dark dress with puff sleeves and rings on her index fingers.
Photo of a drawing. Collection Royal House of the Netherlands.
Marriage and issueEdit
Elisabeth was the first wife of John VI of Nassau-Dillenburg, son of William "the Rich" of Nassau en Juliana of Stolberg. She married on 6 June 1559 at Dillenburg Castle. They had thirteen children:
- William Louis (1560-1620), stadtholder of Frisia (1584-1620), married Anna of Nassau (1563-1588)
- John VII (1561-1623)
- George (1562-1623)
- Elisabeth (1564-1611), married in 1583 with Philip IV, Count of Nassau-Weilburg and in 1603 with Wolfgang Ernst I of Isenburg-Büdingen-Birstein,
- Juliana (1565-1606)
- Philip (1566-1595)
- Maria (1568-1625), married John Louis I of Nassau-Wiesbaden-Idstein,
- Anna Sibylla (1569-1576), died young
- Mathilda (1570-1625), married Count William V, of Mansfeld-Arnstein
- Albert (1572-1572), died young
- Ernst Casimir (1573-1632), Count of Nassau-Dietz, stadtholder of Frisia and Groningen (1620-1632), married in 1597 with Sophia Hedwig of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1583-1642). The Dutch Royal Family descends from this marriage.
- Louis Gunther (1575-1604), died in battle at Sluis, married in 1601 Countess Margareta of Manderscheid-Blankenheim (1575–1606)
- stillborn son (1579)
Elisabeth died in 1579. After her death, John VI had two later marriages, with still more children.
- ^ Pezel, Christoph; Elisabeth (1579). Leichpredigt Bey dem Begrebnis, Weyland der Durchlauchtigen, Hochgebornen Fürstin vnd Frawen, Frawen Eljzabetha, geborner Landgreuin zu Leuchtembergk, etc. Greuin ... zu Nassau, Cattenelnbogen, etc. löblicher vnd Christlicher Gedechtnis. Sampt Einer Trostschrifft an jre F.G. vberschickt den 5. Julij, Als jre F.G. den folgenden 6. Julij seliglich von diesem Leben abgeschieden ist (in German). Erscheinungsort nicht ermittelbar. OCLC 311627599.
- ^ "Portret van Elisabeth van Leuchtenberg, anoniem, 1850 - 1930". Rijksmuseum (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- ^ "PBS LearningMedia | Teaching Resources For Students And Teachers". PBS LearningMedia. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- ^ "Anoniem". rkd.nl. Retrieved 2020-12-05.