Cosmin Alexandru Radu (born November 9, 1981) is a Romanian professional water polo player who is currently playing for HAVK Mladost. Previously he has played for Primorje Rijeka, HAVK Mladost, Rari Nantes Florentia, Rapid Bucharest. He is also the captain of Romania's national team.
|Full name||Cosmin Alexandru Radu|
|Born||November 9, 1981|
|Height||194 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||100 kg (220 lb; 15 st 10 lb)|
|League||Regional Waterpolo League|
Rari Nantes Florentia(2004-2011)
Radu was born in Bucharest where he started playing water polo for Rapid Bucharest in 1992.His first year at the senior level was 1997 and continued to play with the team until 2004.He has won 4 consecutive national championships from 2001 until 2004.In 2001 and 2004 has won the award for Top Scorer.
From 2004 until 2011 he played for the Italian team club Rari Nantes Florentia. From 2011 to 2013 has played with the Croatian waterpolo team HAVK Mladost. Has won The Croatian Cup that took place in Zadar in December 2011 and was named MVP of the competition and finished third in the 2011 Champions League and also third place in the Croatian Championship. In the Adriactic League the finished on the same place as the other competitions that he took part, the third place.
During the summer of 2013 he played for the New York Athletic Club (USA) and won the US Open being declared MVP of the competition.
Starting 2013 has been playing for Primorje Rijeka. In December 2013 he won the Croatian Cup by beating 13-11 Jug Dubrovnik. In April 2014 he has won the Adriatic League at the Final Four played in Zadar by beating Jadran Herceg Novi 13-3 in the semifinals and 8-7 Jug Dubrovnik in the final game.
In May 2014 he won the Croatian Championship defeating in the Finals his former club, HAVK Mladost, with 3-0 at games (13-7 / 11-5 / 13-7). Later the same month he played the Final Six of The Champions League where he lost the semifinal against Barceloneta (10-8), who were to become champions that year, and won the bronze medal by defeating Partizan Belgrade with 12-6.
In December 2014 he won the Croatian Cup after defeating in the final HAVK Mladost with the score of 12-7.
In April 2015 has played in Rijeka the Final Four of the seventh year of the Jadranska Liga (also known as Regionalna Liga) where in the final Primorje Rijeka won against Jug Dubrovnik (15-9). At the end of the game Radu was elected MVP of the Final Four. In the Croatian Finals in May 2015 that was played against Jug Dubrovnik, at the end of five games that finished 9-8 / 12-13(penalties) / 9-8 / 11-12(penalties) / 11-8, he won the Croatian Championship for the second time in a row. At the end of the same month was played the Final Six of the Champions League. In the semifinal they met again against Jug Dubrovnik which they defeated 10-9 and went to the final game where they eventually lost against Pro Recco with the score of 8-7.
During the 2015–2016 has finished Runner up in the Croatian Cup losing the final against JUG Dubrovnik 10-8. In the Final Four of the Regional League that took place in Dubrovnik in March 2016, Primorje lost 9-5 against Jug Dubrovnik finishing in the second place. The Final of the Croatian Championship that was played best out of 5 games saw the same two teams battling with Jug Dubrovnik winning 3-0 (12-9 / 5-7 / 13-7) and again putting the team of Radu on the second place.
In the summer of 2016 he has played in the Maltese Summer League for the Neptunes WPSC. At the end of the season they managed to win the championship finishing with 11 victories, 3 draws and no defeats. In 14 games he helped his team with 41 goals.
Starting the 2017/2018 season he returned to HAVK Mladost where, in 2018, he won the silver medal in the Regional League after being defetead in the final by Jug Dubrovnik with the score of 15-8.
During the 2018/2019 season HAVK Mladost played multiple finals against JUG Dubrovnik. In the Croatian Cup the were awarded the silver medals after bowing to Jug 8-7 but in the Regional League, after finnishing for the first time in the club's history the first place in the regular season, the defeated in the Final Four of the competition Jug 13-12 after a pretty one sided game. At the conclusion of the tournament he received the award MVP of the regular season. In the Croatian Championship his team finished second after losing The Finals with a total of 3-0 (4-10/9-10/11-14) against Jug Dubrovnik.
The first selection in the national team came in 1999.Was selected captain of the team in 2009.
Has played in 8 European Championships, the most notable result being the 4th Place at the 2006 European Championships in Belgrade.
The other ones were :
- 2001 Budapest - 11th place
- 2003 Kranj - 10th place
- 2008 Malaga - 9th place
- 2010 Zagreb - 7th place
- 2012 Eindhoven - 8th place
- 2014 Budapest - 8th place
- 2016 Belgrade - 10th place
- 2018 Barcelona - 10th place
- 2003 Barcelona - 12th place
- 2005 Montreal - 6th place
- 2007 Melbourne - 11th place
- 2009 Rome - 7th place
- 2011 Shanghai - 12th place
Fina Cup :
- 2006 Budapest - 6th place
- 2010 Oradea - 5th place
World League :
- 2007 Berlin - 7th place
- 2000-2001 1st SuperLeague Romania
- 2001-2002 1st SuperLeague Romania
- 2002-2003 1st SuperLeague Romania
- 2003-2004 1st SuperLeague Romania
- 2011 1st Croatian Cup
- 2011-2012 3rd Croatian Championship
- 2011-2012 3rd Champions League
- 2012-2013 3rd Croatian Championship
- 2013-2014 1st Croatian Championship
- 2013 1st Croatian Cup
- 2013-2014 1st Adriatic League
- 2013-2014 3rd Champions League
- 2014-2015 1st Croatian Championship
- 2014 1st Croatian Cup
- 2014-2015 Adriatic League
- 2014-2015 2nd Champions League
- 2015-2016 2nd Croatian Championship
- 2015 2nd Croatian Cup
- 2015-2016 2nd Regional League
- 2017-2018 2nd Croatian Championship
- 2017-2018 2nd Regional League
- 2018-2019 2nd Croatian Championship
- 2018 2nd Croatian Cup
- 2018-2019 1st Regional League
- 2001-2002 Top Scorer of The Romanian Superleague
- 2003-2004 Top Scorer of The Romanian Superleague
- 2011 Top Scorer World Championships in Shanghai
- 2011 MVP of The Croatian Cup
- 2013 MVP of US Open
- 2014-2015 MVP of The Final Four Regional League
- 2018-2019 MVP of The Regional League
- "Cosmin Radu, cel mai bun poloist al anului 2010!". Adevărul. 16 December 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- "London 2012 water polo men - Olympic Water Polo". london2012.com. Retrieved 4 December 2016.