Corrugation Road is an Australian musical set in a mental hospital, about an Aboriginal schizophrenic patient. It was written by Jimmy Chi, his band Kuckles and friends, the creators of Bran Nue Dae. It is based on Chi's own experiences at Perth's Graylands Hospital.
Poster for 1998 Australian tour
|Music||Jimmy Chi and Kuckles|
|Lyrics||Jimmy Chi and Kuckles|
1998 Australian tour
The musical previewed at the Canberra Theatre from 10 October 1996 during the National Festival of Australian Theatre. It subsequently had its official premiere in Melbourne at the Fairfax Studio, Victorian Arts Centre from 17 October 1996 as part of the Melbourne International Festival of the Arts. The tour then played Perth (Subiaco Theatre Centre) and Adelaide (Playhouse, Adelaide Festival Centre) through late 1996 and early 1997.
The musical won The Age's award for creative excellence at the 1996 Melbourne International Festival of the Arts (shared with the performance art work Urban Dream Capsule). It also won the Deadly for Excellence in Film or Theatrical Score in 1998 for Jimmy Chi, Kuckles and The Pigram Brothers. For the Melbourne season of Corrugation Road, Andrew Ross (Director), Steve Dolan (Set and Costumes), Iain Grandage (Musical Director and Arranger) and Anna Mercer (Choreographer) all received nominations in the music theatre Staging and Musical Direction category of the 1996 Green Room Awards.
- Carroll, Steven (27 October 1996), "In Need of Ironing Out", The Age
- Cochrane, Peter (12 October 1996), "The Long Road", The Age
- By Sam Cook (29 April 2006), BLAKistory 101 ArtsHub
- "Corrugation Road". Woroni (Canberra, ACT : 1950 - 2007). Canberra, ACT: National Library of Australia. 10 October 1996. p. 18. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Usher, Robin (17 October 1997), "Artsbeat", The Age
- "Corrugation Road". AusStage. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Schembri, Jim (2 November 1996). "Windowdressers share award with musical". The Age.
- 1998 winners at The Deadlys "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 29 July 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)