The Cornerswell ward covers the residential area west of Penarth town centre including Cogan and the area of Penarth north of Cornerswell Road. The St Augustine's ward lies to the east, Stanwell to the south and Llandough to the north. Two county councillors are elected from Cornerswell to the Vale of Glamorgan Council  and four town councillors to Penarth Town Council.
At the May 2017 Vale of Glamorgan council elections both seats were won by Welsh Labour. Councillors Rhiannon Birch and Peter King had represented the ward since 2012 (Cllr Birch had also represented the ward between 2004 and 2008). Between 1995 and 2012 Cornerswell had elected a mixture of Labour and Conservative councillors to the county council.
|Representation 1995 – date |
- Election maps, Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- The County Borough of The Vale of Glamorgan (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 (PDF). legislation.gov.uk. Statutory Instruments. 6 December 2002. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- Sharon Harris (5 May 2017) "Town Council election results", Penarth Times. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Cornerswell - Key Stats". UKcensusdata.com. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Vale of Glamorgan council: These are the people you have chosen to run your local authority". Wales Online. 5 May 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 9 June 2018.