Oswalt with the Mets in 2018
|New York Mets – No. 55|
|Born: September 3, 1993|
San Diego, California
|April 25, 2018, for the New York Mets|
|MLB statistics |
(through April 13, 2019)
|Earned run average||6.19|
Oswalt attended James Madison High School in San Diego, California. He was primarily an infielder in high school and initially committed to play college baseball at UC Santa Barbara. Oswalt was drafted by the New York Mets in the seventh round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.
Oswalt made his professional debut with the Kingsport Mets and spent all of 2012 with the team, going 4-3 with an 8.15 ERA in 35.1 innings pitched, and he also pitched for them in 2013, compiling an 0-1 record and 3.46 ERA 13 innings. He played for the Brooklyn Cyclones in 2014, finishing 6-2 with a 2.26 ERA in 12 games (11 starts), Savannah Sand Gnats in 2015, going 11-5 with a 3.36 ERA in 25 games, and St. Lucie Mets and Gulf Coast League Mets in 2016, where he pitched to a combined 4-2 record and 4.06 ERA in 14 games (13 starts). After the 2016 season, Oswalt played in the Arizona Fall League. He spent 2017 with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies where he was 12-5 with a 2.28 ERA in 24 games started. The Mets added him to their 40-man roster after the 2017 season.
Oswalt began 2018 with the Las Vegas 51s and was promoted to the Mets on April 21. He made his Major League debut on April 25 at Busch Stadium against the St. Louis Cardinals, pitching 4.2 innings of relief, giving up two runs on two hits while striking out four and walking none in a 9-1 loss. On June 29, 2018, he made his first start for the Mets after Jacob deGrom was scratched.
- U-T, Bill Dickens, Special to the. "Madison shortstop ready for some time in spotlight".
- Torenli, John (June 24, 2014). "More 0s for Cyclones' Oswalt". Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Farm report: Bigwig scouted Oswalt".
- Maffei, John. "Former Madison High star Oswalt putting it together".
- "Corey Oswalt Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Mets add prospects to 40-man roster - Who did they protect from the Rule 5 Draft?".
- "Gerson Bautista optioned Corey Oswalt recalled". MLB.com.
- Ackert, Kristie (April 26, 2018). "Throwing error leads to Steven Matz implosion, Corey Oswalt stellar in Mets debut". New York Daily News. Retrieved 1 May 2018.