Cool Effect is a crowdfunding platform that provides individuals the opportunity to support carbon emissions reductions by funding carbon-reducing projects around the world. Cool Effect is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Greenbrae, California.
|Richard and Dee Lawrence|
The platform has compiled a portfolio of projects that support carbon emissions reductions, referred to as the “Coollection”, which is available on its website for individuals to fund. One-time donations or monthly subscription models are available, and individuals also can choose to donate to specific projects.
As of 2020, Cool Effect financed projects in the following three categories:
- Methane capturing and biogas digesters
- Efficient cookstoves
- Protecting ecosystems
Global Offset Research is a subsidiary company of Cool Effect that includes a team of scientists and financial analysts who are responsible for vetting the carbon-reducing projects. The verification process includes a financial analysis that assesses the initial and long-term feasibility of the project, as well as the amount of funds that reach the project beneficiary, and a guarantee of “Absolute Additionality”, as the scientists perform their own verification, in addition to existing industry standard verification.
Cool Effect additionally provides the ability to download all of the documentation that their team of scientists have compiled prior to contributing, allowing individuals to obtain detailed information about the project and the findings from the vetting process.
Cool Effect has created partnerships with GreenFaith, Natural Resources Defense Council, Presidio Graduate School, Redford Center, Wildlife Conservation Society, Salesforce.com, and Yale School of Public Health. In addition to these organizations, it also works closely with actress Alysia Reiner.
- ^ "Cool Effect: Our Story". cooleffect.org. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- ^ "Cool Effect FAQ". cooleffect.org. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- ^ Yerman, Marcia (17 October 2016). "'Cool Effect' Promises Carbon Reduction Solutions". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- ^ a b "Carbon offsetting". Travelinho.com. Retrieved 2020-02-08.
- ^ "What's Cool About Cool Effect Carbon Reductions?". Yale Climate Connections. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- ^ Aldern, Clayton (10 March 2016). "Wondering how you can do more to fight climate change? Check this out". Grist. Grist. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- ^ "Salesforce's Journey to Net-Zero Greenhouse Gas Emissions". salesforce.com. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- ^ Cabrera, Ana. ".@alysiareiner doesn't need to get a message to POTUS on climate change, just the average American @cool_effect". Twitter. Retrieved 22 April 2017.