Conquest of the Desert (exhibition)
Conquest of the Desert was a world's fair held in Jerusalem, Israel in 1953 at Binyanei Ha'uma, a convention center in Jerusalem. It focused on the themes of reclamation and population of desert area.
|Name||International Exhibition and Fair Jerusalem Israel|
|Motto||Conquest of the Desert|
|Opening||22 September 1953|
|Closure||14 October 1953|
|Previous||The International Textile Exhibition in Lille|
|Next||The International Exhibition of Navigation (1954) in Naples|
|Previous||Exposition internationale du bicentenaire de Port-au-Prince in Port-au-Prince|
|Next||Expo 58 in Brussels|
|Next||Floriade 1960 in Rotterdam|
Thirteen foreign countries participated. This included the United States, although it declared a boycott of the opening ceremony. The Soviet Union declined to attend. UNESCO and the World Health Organization also attended.
- "1953 Jerusalem - Israel". Retrieved 14 March 2012.[dead link]
- "Official Site of the Bureau International des Exposition". Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Exhibition 'Conquest Of The Desert'". Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "Israel's First International Exhibition Opened in Jerusalem". Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "October 16, 1953 Israel's First International Exhibition Closes; Visited by 600,000". Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "U.S. Explains Its Boycott of Exhibition Opening". Archived from the original on 15 April 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Soviet Declines Invitation to Participate in Israel Exhibition". Retrieved 14 March 2012.