Connolly, Western Australia
Connolly is a northern suburb of Perth, Western Australia, located within the City of Joondalup adjacent to Joondalup's central business district. It was built in the late 1980s as a golf course estate. Its eastern border backs onto the Mitchell Freeway road reserve. Many homes feature on the edges of Connolly but the homes bordering the golf course are generally larger and more affluent.
Perth, Western Australia
Connolly & the Joondalup Golf Resort
|Population||3,617 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,292/km2 (3,350/sq mi)|
|Area||2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi)|
|Location||26 km (16 mi) NNW of Perth CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Joondalup|
The suburb was named in honour of John Connolly who held land in the area in 1838. Connolly was a private in the 63rd Regiment who arrived in the colony in 1829 and who farmed at Upper Swan and Bindoon after being discharged in 1834.
The suburb is served by a single primary school, Connolly Primary School, located on the eastern side of the suburb. Government school students attend different high schools based upon which side of the golf course they reside. Those on the western side attend Ocean Reef Senior High School, while those in the east attend Belridge Senior High School. Some students opt to attend Lake Joondalup Baptist College or Prendiville Catholic College, both independent schools.
An entire local street, namely Prairie Dunes Place has gained notability for its annual Christmas lights display. Since 1999, the street has been raising funds for the Association of the Blind WA and in this time has raised in excess of $80,000 [AUD] (2007) towards the training of guide dogs.
- 460 Whitfords - Joondalup
- 461 Whitfords - Joondalup
- 462 Whitfords - Joondalup
- 470 Whitfords - Joondalup
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "State Suburbs: Connolly". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of metropolitan suburb names – C". Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- "Community Wellbeing". City of Joondalup. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "City hosts Christmas lights walk" (PDF). City of Joondalup. 6 December 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 September 2007.
- "News - Lighting up Christmas – Dec 2007". Association for the Blind (WA). Archived from the original on 31 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "Guide Dog Supporters". Association for the Blind (WA). Archived from the original on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 31 December 2007.