Concert Classics is a live album originally recorded for radio broadcast by the band U.K. This edition (and all the other variations) were released without the approval of the band, and they consider it a bootleg.
|Concert Classics Vol.4|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||11 July 1978|
The album was recorded on 11 July 1978 at Paradise Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts and released on CD in 1999. This album was also re-released in Japan on CD in 2007 as Live in Boston. It has also been released as Live in America. On those later editions the sleeve notes date the concert as September 11, 1978 performed at Paradise Theatre, Boston. There is no specific date given on the Concert Classics edition.
Although this version of the Boston show was released against the band's permission, the concert was finally "officially" mixed and released in 2016 as part of the box-set Ultimate Collector's Edition.
The album contains performances of three songs ("The Only Thing She Needs", "Carrying No Cross" and "Caesar's Palace Blues") that would eventually end up on UK's second album, Danger Money (1979), without Allan Holdsworth and Bill Bruford. These versions have different arrangements, including the guitar, contrary to the latter album versions, and lyrics still in progress.
The track split between "Alaska" and "Time to Kill" is wrong, placing the fast part of the former at the beginning of the latter. The packaging does not mention the final part of "By the Light of Day" and the piece "Presto Vivace" as being the opening part of the "In the Dead of Night" track, although they are there. An even greater error is that the packaging, booklet, and CD label have omitted mention of "The Only Thing She Needs" as being track 3 (thus misidentifying the track numbers for the subsequent songs), even though it actually is included on the disc for a total of seven tracks (all labeling only shows six tracks).
The version included on Ultimate Collector's Edition corrects the errors above, and gives "By the Light of Day" and "Presto Vivace" their own track numbers (thus the CD lists nine tracks).
|2.||"Time to Kill"||Jobson, John Wetton, Bill Bruford||7:17|
|3.||"The Only Thing She Needs"||7:21|
|4.||"Carrying No Cross"||9:59|
|5.||"Thirty Years"||Jobson, Wetton, Bruford||10:03|
|6.||"In the Dead of Night"||7:50|
|7.||"Caesar's Palace Blues"||4:30|
- "U.K. - Concert Classics, Vol. 4 (rec. 1978, rel. 1999)". AllMusic. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "DPRP CD Reviews - 1999 - Summer Special". www.dprp.net. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "EJ's Views on Bootlegs". Archived from the original on 2011-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- Kelman, John (25 September 2016). "U.K.: Ultimate Collectors' Edition". All About Jazz. Archived from the original on 5 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- U.K. - Concert Classics, Vol. 4 (rec. 1978, rel. 1999) album releases & credits at Discogs
- U.K. - Concert Classics, Vol. 4 (rec. 1978, rel. 1999) album credits & user reviews at ProgArchives.com
- U.K. - Legends Live in Concert (Live in Boston, MA - 1978) album to be listened on Spotify
- U.K. - Alive in America (rec. 1978, rel 1997) album to be listened on YouTube