Compile and go system
In computer programming, a compile and go system, compile, load, and go system, assemble and go system, or load and go system is a programming language processor in which the compilation, assembly, or link steps are not separated from program execution. The intermediate forms of the program are generally kept in primary memory, and not saved to the file system.
An example of a load-and-go system is the OS/360 loader, which performed many of the functions of the Linkage Editor, but placed the linked program in memory rather than creating an executable on disk.
Advantages of compile-and-go systems are:
- The user need not be concerned with the separate steps of compilation, assembling, linking, loading, and executing.
- Execution speed is generally much superior to interpreted systems.
- They are simple and easier to implement.[dubious ]
Disadvantages of compile-and-go loaders are:
- There is wastage in memory space due to the presence of the assembler.
- The code must be reprocessed every time it is run.
- Systems with multiple modules, possibly in different languages, cannot be handled naturally within this framework.
Compile-and-go systems were popular in academic environments, where student programs were small, compiled many times, usually executed quickly and, once debugged, seldom needed to be re-executed.
- Dhotre, I.A.; Puntambekar, A.A. (2008). Systems Software. Technical Publications. ISBN 9788184315004.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Donovan, John J. (1972). Systems programming. McGraw-Hill computer science series. McGraw-Hill.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Isrd (2006). Computer Organization. ACE series. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 9780070593619.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Janson, Philippe (1985). Operating systems: structures and mechanisms. Academic Press. ISBN 9780123802309.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Joseph, M. (2007). System Software. Firewall Media. ISBN 9788131800362.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Morris, Christopher G. (1992). "compile-and-go". Academic Press dictionary of science and technology. Gulf Professional Publishing. ISBN 9780122004001.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Weik, Martin H. (2000a). "assemble-and-go". Computer science and communications dictionary. 2. Springer. ISBN 9780792384250.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Weik, Martin H. (2000b). "compile-and-go". Computer science and communications dictionary. 2. Springer. ISBN 9780792384250.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)