Commando Parachute Group
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Commando Parachute Group (French: Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes, GCP) are the elite operational pathfinders units within the 11th Parachute Brigade of the French Army. These Commandos form within the various Paratrooper Regiments of France, elite sections of Chute opérationnelle and commando instructors, attached in general to the reconnaissance and support company (CEA) or the logistics and command company (CCL). In case of global rising conflicts, these commandos are dropped ahead of forward ground forces.
|Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes Commando Parachute Group|
11e brigade parachutistes insignia
|Active||1965 - present|
|Type||Airborne Light Infantry|
|Role||• Limited Action Capability|
• Foreign internal defense Other Roles:
• Humanitarian missions
• Information operations
|Part of||Commandement de la force d'action terrestre|
|French Chuteur Opérationnel Brevet of Commando Parachute Group|
The GCP were founded in 1965 as << Équipes de Saut Ouverture à Grande Hauteur >>, SOGH ( High Altitude Jump Teams or HAHO Teams ). On January 1, 1982; the unit was renamed (C)ommandos de (R)enseignement et d'(A)ction dans la (P)rofondeur, CRAP ( Reconnaissance and Deep Action Commandos ), a designation nomination which was conserved till 1999. In 1969, the Deep Action and Reconnaissance Commandos ( CRAP ) of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment participate for the first time in Chad.
In 2007, the GCP aligns under their command 19 Teams of paratroopers commandos constituted of a dozen members. The GCP Teams are dispersed in the following French parachute regiments:
- 11th Parachute Brigade (11e BP)
- 19 GCP Teams
- ( 3 GCP Teams of 10 commandos ), 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment
- ( 2 GCP Teams ), 1st Parachute Hussar Regiment
- 1st Parachute Train Transport Regiment
- ( 3 GCP Teams ), 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment
- ( 2 GCP Teams ), 3rd Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment
- ( 2 GCP Teams ), 8th Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment
- ( 2 GCP Teams ), 17th Parachute Engineer Regiment
- ( 2 GCP Teams ), 35th Parachute Artillery Regiment
- 11th Parachute Transmission and Command Company
- 19 GCP Teams
In order to serve in the GCP the candidate must meet the following requirements- To belong to a regiment of the 11th Parachute Brigade (11e Brigade Parachutiste) you must fit the following requirements:
- To be the rank of Corporalin the French Armed Forces
- Must pass 11th Parachute Brigade / Commando Parachute Group selection
- To be medically fit for parachute jump and thus acquiring the following qualifications: TAP et Chuteurs Opérationnels.
S I G Y C O P (Troupes Aéroportées)
2 1 2 3 3 2 1
S I G Y C O P (Chuteurs Opérationnels)
2 1 2 3 2 2 1
- To be adept whilst out in the field minimum 4 month plus deployment ( More than 4 month on OPEX).
- To have security clearance type classification (SD)
- Minimum rank of corporal required
- To pass Pre-Selection, which consists of:
- 2 rope climbs carrying full opex gear and arms
- A swim in combat fatigues that includes underwater tests and 5 meter rope climb from the water; depending on mother regiment this may be in rough winter seas.
- An obstacle course to be completed under a set time.
- An orientation/navigation test to be completed under a set time.
- A 30 km TAP in full fighting order to be completed under a set time with record held by CCH PLM of 2e REP GCP in 2hrs 28 min
- 1500m and 8000m runs in full opex gear and arms, to be completed under set times.
- Unarmed combat skills and aggression tests including 'milling' a type of no rules boxing.
- An interview and general skills testing with current serving members of the GCP
- To pass the physically and mentally demanding Brevet Niveaux 1 et 2 du Centre National d'Entraînement Commando (The National Commando Training Centre) (CNEC) at Mont-Louis
- Brevet Niveau 1 : « Commando Entrainement »
- Brevet Niveau 2 : « Moniteur des Techniques Commandos » for senior NCOs and officers or « Moniteur des Techniques Commandos Spécialisés » for junior NCOs
- Brevet Niveau 3 : « Instructeur des Techniques Commandos »
- To pass the 'Chuteur Opérationnel' de l'ETAP course (stage 55 501 SOGH) that lasts three months.
Upon completion of program, candidate is integrated in GCP Teams.