Collaborator is a 2011 American drama film written and directed by Martin Donovan. The film had its world premiere on July 4, 2011, at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. The film stars Donovan and the two-time Emmy-nominee David Morse, with Olivia Williams, Melissa Auf der Maur, Katherine Helmond and Eileen Ryan in supporting roles
|Directed by||Martin Donovan|
|Written by||Martin Donovan|
|Produced by||Julien Favre, Luca Matrundola, Pascal Vaguelsy, Ted Hope|
Melissa Auf der Maur
|Edited by||Karen Porter|
|Music by||Manels Favre|
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film (United States)|
Entertainment One (International)
Robert Longfellow, a once-successful playwright, taken hostage by an ex-con neighbor, Gus, while on a routine visit to his childhood home. Longfellow has avoided Gus since he was a boy. As the drama unfolds, social status, celebrity and the threat of violence converge, leaving the playwright simultaneously shattered and inspired.
Awards and nominationsEdit
DViant Films and This Is That Productions produced Collaborator. The film's score was composed by Manels Favre. The soundtrack also includes a Brahms cover performed by PJ Harvey. Filming took place in Los Angeles and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
In October 2013, the film had a 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes from 24 reviews.
The New York Times found it "earnest" and "wooden", like a one-act play "in which any visceral tension is secondary to topical debates by a captor and his prisoner". The Los Angeles Times found it "disappointing" and "somber", failing to generate any tension from its thriller elements.
The Globe and Mail awarded it 2.5/5 and Adam Litovitz criticised some stagy elements but praised the film as a study of character. The New York Post praised the performances, saying "both characters are riveting".
- Adams, Mark (5 July 2011). "Collaborator". Screen International. Retrieved 7 November 2021.
- "Prizes of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2011". July 9, 2011.
- "'Restoration' wins at Karlovy Vary". Variety. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Canadian Screen Award nominations". CBC News. January 15, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "Collaborator". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Holden, Steven (July 5, 2012). "Collaborator (review)". New York Times.
- Goldstein, Gary (July 19, 2012). "Collaborator (Review)". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Litovitz, Adam (July 13, 2012). "A dark buddy tale for the mancession". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Smith Nehme, Farran (July 6, 2012). "Collaborator". New York Post. Retrieved October 22, 2013.