Coin World is an American numismatic magazine, with weekly and monthly issues. It is among the world’s most popular non-academic publications for coin collectors and is covering the entire numismatic field, including coins, paper money, medals and tokens.
Founding and early history (1960-62)Edit
Coin World was founded as a weekly publication in 1960 by J. Oliver Amos, a seasoned publishing professional from the third generation of newspaper publishers. Amos took his experiences in producing The Sidney Daily News to the coin field, applying what he learned from printing Linn's Stamp News. In 1960, the concept of a weekly coin publication was new. On the 25th Anniversary of' Coin World in 1985, Amos related that he saw, "all the opportunities which could be developed from a weekly presentation – club meetings all over the country, personalities, and many other ideas that we had learned in publishing The Sidney Daily News as a community newspaper."
With the help of James F. Kelly of Dayton, Ohio, the idea to include a weekly "Trends" column reflecting the changes in coin values was formed. Kelly was hired to be the inaugural Coin World Trends editor and D. Wayne Johnson of Shawnee Mission, Kansas, was tapped to be the inaugural editor-in-chief.
The Sample Edition (Vol. 1 No. 0) was printed March, 1960, and its eight pages were designed to show potential subscribers and advertisers the look of the new publication. The first official issue was dated April 21, 1960. Within a year there were more than 53,000 paid subscribers.
Margo Russell period (1962-85)Edit
Margo Russell became Coin World's editor in 1962. She had begun her journalism career at The Sidney Daily News and later joined the Coin World staff as a historical researcher. Upon her retirement as editor on February 28, 1985, after 23 years, many numismatists regarded her as one of the most influential people in the hobby, and had given her the nickname “The First Lady of Numismatics”. In 1975, Russell received the Farran Zerbe Memorial Award, the highest award of the American Numismatic Association and in 1986 she was elected to its Hall of Fame.
Under Russell’s editorship, Coin World took a substantial role in promoting the growth of the hobby by cultivating close relationships with the U.S. Mint. Russell took an unprecedented role in expressing the desires of coin collectors and shaping the direction of the hobby through her efforts in Washington, D.C.
Beth Deisher period (1985-2012)Edit
Upon Margo Russell’s retirement in 1985, Beth Deisher became editor and continued in that capacity until 2012, making her the publication's longest-serving editor.
Deisher was the lead witness at the July 12, 1995, congressional hearing that catapulted the drive for circulating commemoratives to the top of the U.S. Congress's legislative agenda, eventually resulting in approval of the legislation authorizing the 50 State Quarters program.[failed verification]
During Deisher's tenure as editor, a supplement magazine issue, Coin World's Coin Values was launched. It was published until at least 2012.
Steve Roach Period (2012-present)Edit
Steve Roach, previously Coin World's associate editor, took over as editor-in-chief on April 30, 2012.
Coin World's reporting also includes coverage of stories about the global numismatic field, including the recent deluge into the numismatic marketplace of counterfeit Chinese coins.
In March 2019, Coin World launched a weekly podcast hosted by associate editors Chris Bulfinch and senior staff writer Jeff Starck. Larry Jewett replaced Bulfinch in January 2021. As part of Coin Worlds 60th anniversary, in March 2021 a supplementary book, Coin World Celebrating 60: The Most Influential People in Numismatics 1960-2020, was published and sent to subscribers with the March 2021 issue. The people listed were voted on by Coin World subscribers and the collecting public.
Each issue features a variety of columns in addition to news stories.
- News and Analysis: Column focusing on current events in the numismatic world such as auctions, finds, and convention news
- Readers Ask: Reader supported question and answer column
- Editorial Opinion: William T. Gibbs's column on current events from his perspective
- Coin Values Spotlight: An in-depth look comparing two specific coins and tracking their value appreciations/depreciations over time
- Coin Values Market Analysis: Focusing on recent auctions of notable coins
- Coin Shop Lottery: Thomas Cohn's column on his recent purchases
- About VAMs: Morgan Dollar column by variety specialist John Roberts
- The Joys Of Collecting: Q. David Bowers' column (1976-2021)
- Collecting Paper: Paper money column
- Collectors' Clearinghouse: Errors and Varieties: Error coin column by Mike Diamond featuring reader-submitted coins
- Johnson, Dick. "DICK JOHNSON ON NUMISMATIC PERIODICAL PUBLISHING". CoinBooks.org. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Amos Family". wustl.edu. EPNNES & Washington University in St. Louis. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- Bulfinsh, Christopher. "Coin World Marketplace launches". CoinWorld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Coin World's first issue a reader find: Readers Ask". CoinWorld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "James F. Kelly biography". wustl.edu. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Numismatics: The Art of Coins and Medals" (PDF). BelskieMuseum.com. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "KOLBE & FANNING TO OFFER MARGO RUSSELL LIBRARY". CoinWeek.com. CoinWeek, LLC. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- Orzano, Michele. "Former Coin World Editor Margo Russell dies". CoinWorld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "At NLG Bash, Margo Russell Remembered; CoinWeek Takes 6 Numismatic Literary Guild Awards". CoinWeek.com. CoinWeek, LLC. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Margo Russell: We Remember a numismatic legend and her legacy". CoinWorld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "FARRAN ZERBE MEMORIAL AWARD". money.org. American Numismatic Association. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- "Numismatic Hall of Fame". American Numismatic Association. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012. Retrieved September 10, 2014.
- "MARGO RUSSELL 1919-2015". CoinBooks.org. The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS). Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Deisher retires as editor of Coin World effective April 30". Coin World (published April 2012). May 7, 2012. p. 53.
- Deisher, Beth (July 19, 2006). "Testimony of Beth Deisher, Editor, Coin World, before the House Financial Services Committee ..." (PDF). U.S. House Committee on Financial Services. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 28, 2006. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- Headley, Susan (December 8, 2008). "Coin World Releases Chinese Counterfeiting Series". About.com. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Coin World Podcast". coinworld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- Gibbs, William T. "Monday Morning Brief for Oct. 26, 2020: Hobby's most influential people". coinworld.com. Amos Media Company. Retrieved 19 May 2021.