Cobb Island (Maryland)
Cobb Island is a small island located at the confluence of the Potomac and Wicomico rivers in southern Charles County, Maryland, United States. It is located approximately 45 miles (72 km) south of Washington, and is considered to be within the Washington, D.C. MSA. Cobb Island is separated from the mainland by Neale Sound and connected to it by a 0.11-mile-long (180 m) fixed bridge carrying Maryland Route 254.
Cobb Island, Maryland
Location of Cobb Island, Charles County, Maryland
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (490/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1988529|
The unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) of Cobb Island is located on the island. As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a population of 1,166. The community has a small post office, a volunteer fire department and rescue squad, a Baptist church, a large community green space (Fisherman's Field) and a small playground for children. Commercially, there are two seafood restaurants with marinas (Captain John's Crab House, and Shymansky's Restaurant & Marina), The Rivah, a marina with a pizzeria restaurant chain (Ledo Pizza), a small bar and grill (The Scuttlebutt), a seasonal coffee shop, art gallery and bakery (The Cove at Cobb Island), and a small market (Cobb Island Market).
On December 23, 1900, Reginald Aubrey Fessenden sent and received the first intelligible speech by electromagnetic waves on a pair of masts 50 feet (15 m) high and 1 mile (1.6 km) apart on Cobb Island. Fessenden was using a spark transmitter with the Kintner-Brashear interrupter.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cobb Island (Maryland)
- "Highway Location Reference: Charles County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Cobb Island CDP, Maryland". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Cobb Island Volunteer Fire Department & EMS - Charles County, Company 6". Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- Belrose, John S. (September 1994). "Fessenden and the Early History of Radio Science". The Radioscientist. 5 (3). Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- On the Birth of Wireless Telephony, John S. Belrose
- Cobb Island travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Cobb Island Official FACEBOOK page
- Census information about Cobb Island, MD 20625
- Gaines, Patrice (August 20, 1994). "Cobb Island: The Water Offers An Everyday Escape". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-10-17.