Clinical associates

Clinical Associates are a category of health professional found in South Africa. They assess patients, make diagnoses, prescribe treatment and perform minor surgery under the supervision of a physician.

Registration with the Medical and Dentists Board requires a Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice degree [1] - a three-year program offered at the Walter Sisulu University since January 2008[2] and now also offered at the University of Witwatersrand, University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo (Medunsa Campus).[3][4]

Similar health workers are called clinical officers in other parts of Africa, physician assistants in the US and feldshers in parts of the former Soviet Union - all grouped under “paramedical practitioners” in the International Standard Classification of Occupations, 2008 revision.[5]

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ Health Professions Council of South Africa: Professional boards - Medical & Dental (and Medical Science) - Archived 2011-03-24 at the Wayback Machine, accessed 15 March 2011.
  2. ^ Speech by Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang at the official launch of the Clinical Associate Programme in South Africa, Umthata, 18 August 2008 - Archived 2011-06-04 at the Wayback Machine
  3. ^ Mid-level health professionals for South Africa -, accessed 15 March 2011.
  4. ^ University of the Witwatersrand: Clinical Associates - Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice -, accessed 15 March 2011.
  5. ^ World Health Organization: Classifying health workers. Geneva, WHO, 2010.

External linksEdit