Clergy Reserves in Canada Act 1840
The Clergy Reserves in Canada Act 1840 is the short-title of An Act to provide for the Sale of the Clergy Reserves in the Province of Canada, and for the Distribution of the Proceeds thereof, passed at Westminster in the 3-4th year of Queen Victoria.
The Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada had passed a law to sell the reserves in 1840, but it was disallowed and displaced by this Act. Although considered to be more favourable to the Anglican Church of Canada, this Act as passed provided that only one-half of future sales would be dedicated on a 2:1 basis to the Anglican Church and the Church of Scotland, with the remaining moiety being distributed to all other churches according to their respective strengths. The administration of the reserve lands was transferred to the Crown Lands Department, where it was handled in a less contentious manner.
- An Act to provide for the Sale of the Clergy Reserves in the Province of Canada, and for the Distribution of the Proceeds thereof, 3-4 Vic., c. 78
- Lindsey & Rolph 1851, pp. 41–42.
- Lindsey & Rolph 1851, pp. 43–44.
- Lindsey & Rolph 1851, pp. 45–48.
- Wilson 1969, p. 19.
- Right Honourable C. Poulett Thomson; Legislative Assembly of His Majesty's Province of Upper Canada (1840). Copy of an Act passed by the Legislature of Upper Canada to provide for the sale of the Clergy Reserves, and for the distribution of the proceeds thereof; together with Copy of a Despatch from the Governor General of Canada, dated 22d January 1840. Ordered to be printed 23d March 1840.
- Lindsey, Charles; Rolph, John (1851). The clergy reserves: their history and present position, showing the systematic attempts that have been made to establish in connection with the state, a dominant church in Canada, With a full account of the rectories. Also an appendix containing Dr. Rolph's speech on the clergy reserves, delivered in 1836. Toronto: "North American" Press.
- Wilson, Alan (1968). The Clergy Reserves of Upper Canada: a Canadian mortmain. University of Toronto Press. OCLC 581126223.
- Wilson, Alan (1969). The Clergy Reserves of Upper Canada (PDF). Ottawa: Canadian Historical Association. ISBN 0-88798-057-0. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-06-01. Retrieved 2018-12-21.