Cleistes is a genus of orchids (family Orchidaceae). It contains approximately 40–50 species, most of them native to South America, with a few species extending north into Costa Rica and Trinidad. Two North American species were formerly included in this group, but are now regarded as a separate genus, Cleistesiopsis.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families, Cleistes
- Flora of North America, v 26 p 510, Cleistes
- Catling, P. M. and K. B. Gregg. 1992. Systematics of the genus Cleistes in North America. Lindleyana 7: 57–73.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Species, Cleistesiopsis
- Richard, L.C.M. (1840) The Genera and Species of Orchidaceous Plants 409.
- Pridgeon, A.M., Cribb, P.J., Chase, M.C. & Rasmussen, F.N. (2003) Genera Orchidacearum 3: 286 ff. Oxford University Press.