|Alma mater||Massey University|
|Fields||early childhood literacy|
|Institutions||University of Auckland, Auckland University of Technology, Massey University, Waikato University|
Claire Jane McLachlan (sometimes McLachlan-Smith) is a New Zealand teaching academic. She is currently professor and head of school at Waikato University. Her speciality is early-childhood literacy.
McLachlan did a MSc by thesis at Massey entitled 'Experience as a mother of a "crying baby": a single collaborative case study' completed in 1991, and then a PhD 'Emergent literacy in New Zealand kindergartens : an examination of policy and practices' in 1996. Between 2000 and 2006 she worked in Auckland at the University of Auckland and Auckland University of Technology before returning to Massey University, where she rose to full professor in 2013. She then moved to Waikato University as currently professor and head of school.
- Makin, Laurie, Criss Jones-Diaz, and Claire McLachlan, eds. Literacies in childhood: Changing views, challenging practice. Elsevier Australia, 2007.
- McLachlan, Claire, Marilyn Fleer, and Susan Edwards. Early childhood curriculum: Planning, assessment, and implementation. Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- McLachlan, Claire, Lucila Carvalho, Nicky de Lautour, and Koshila Kumar. "Literacy in early childhood settings in New Zealand: An examination of teachers' beliefs and practices." Australian Journal of Early Childhood 31, no. 2 (2006): 31-42.
- McLachlan, Claire. "An analysis of New Zealand's changing history, policies and approaches to early childhood education." Australasian Journal of Early Childhood 36, no. 3 (2011): 36.
- "Professional & Organisational Development Unit". Waikato.ac.nz. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Experience as a mother of a "crying baby" : a single collaborative case study : a thesis submitted to the Education Department, Massey University in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts". Mro.massey.ac.nz. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Emergent literacy in New Zealand kindergartens : an examination of policy and practices : a thesis presented in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy at Massey University". Mro.massey.ac.nz. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Literacy learning from early childhood to primary - Massey University". Massey.ac.nz. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- Claire McLachlan, Linked in