Cinematic Music Group
Cinematic Music Group (CMG) is an American record label, management, publishing & touring company distributed by The Orchard founded in 2007 by Jonny Shipes. Their roster as of 2020 consists of Joey Bada$$, Pro Era, T-Pain, Smoke DZA, Va$htie, Mick Jenkins, G Herbo, Caveman, Public Access TV, Flipp Dinero, and others.
|Cinematic Music Group|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
Cinematic Music Group made one of its earliest signings in 2007 with Harlem’s Smoke DZA. That same year, Cinematic signed Sean Kingston whose self-titled debut album included two #1 Billboard singles, including the double platinum "Beautiful Girls." The album sold in excess of 1,000,000 units. Cinematic’s next signee, West Coast MC Nipsey Hussle, signed to the company in 2010 and was included on XXL’s Annual Freshman List
In 2010, Shipes signed Big K.R.I.T., who that same year released his mixtape "Krit Wuz Here" KRIT followed up this success with his “Returnof4eva” mixtape in March 2011. K.R.I.T debuted the #1 hip hop album on the billboard charts with his debut album Live from the Underground.
In 2010 Cinematic added Vashtie Kola, an artist, designer, and DJ to the roster. Shipes then signed Joey Bada$$ & the collective Pro Era, short for the Progressive Era, which , a group of emcees, producers, and young tastemakers. Musical members of Pro Era include Joey Bada$$, Kirk Knight, Nyck Caution, CJ Fly, Dessy Hinds, A La Sole, Chuck Strangers, Dyemond Lewis and more. After viewing a video of a 16-year-old Joey Bada$$ freestyling on popular hip hop and viral video website WorldstarHipHop.com, Shipes saw his potential. After writing for two years, Bada$$ released his debut mixtape “1999”, receiving critical acclaim from Complex Magazine. Bada$$ & Pro Era have been noted for their lyricism and return to the 90s sound.
In 2013, Shipes expanded the roster of Cinematic and signed indie R&B/electronic duo ASTR. ASTR released their “Varsity” EP in January 2014. On July 16, 2014, Cinematic Music Group President Jonny Shipes announced the signing of Chicago emcee Mick Jenkins who's "The Water[s]" album was released , and receive an rave review from Stereogum. Jenkins finished off 2014 by touring the country (40 plus cities) on The Smoker's Club tour and saw his first headlining tour with Pro Era’s Kirk Knight in early 2015.
On January 20, 2015, Joey Bada$$ released his debut studio album “B4.DA.$$”. The album sold an impressive 56,000 units opening week making it the #1 rap album in the country that week.
On September 1, 2015, Chicago rapper Lil Herb was added to the roster of Cinematic. His album, Ballin' Like I'm Kobe, was released on September 27, 2015.
On February 4, 2016, Cinematic announced the signing of Brooklyn rock band Caveman on February 11 announced the addition of Public Access TV.
|Public Access TV||2016|
|Nipsey Hussle||2010||Luh Kel||2019|
C Glizzy 2020
|Big K.R.I.T.||K.R.I.T. Wuz Here||
|Big K.R.I.T.||Return of 4eva||
|Big K.R.I.T.||4eva N a Day||
|Pro Era||The Secc$ Tape||
|Pro Era||P.E.E.P: The aPROcalypse||
|Big K.R.I.T.||Live from the Underground||
|Big K.R.I.T.||King Remembered in Time||
|Joey Bada$$||Summer Knights||
|CJ Fly||Thee Way Eye See It||
|Pro Era||The Secc$ Tape 2||
|Pro Era||The Shift||
|Mick Jenkins||The Water[s]||
|G Herbo||Ballin Like I'm Kobe||
|Kirk Knight||Late Knight Special||
|Mobsquad Nard||Everything Clean But Da Ashtray||
|Mick Jenkins||The Healing Component||
|Joey Badass||All-Amerikkkan Badass||
|Yungeen Ace||Life of Betrayl||
- "Joey Bada$$ Dedicates 'No. 99′ Music Video To Late Cousin". MTV. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Cinematic Music Group...has inked a deal with SONY RED.". XXLMag
- http://www.billboard.com/artist/278515/sean-kingston/chart Billboard.com
- "Nipsey Hussle, Class of ’10 – Catching Up With the XXL Freshmen" May 21, 2013 by Dan Buyanovsky" XXL Magazine.
- "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here Album Review" Archived June 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. DJBooth.net
- "Mississippi rapper/producer Big K.R.I.T. finds himself with the biggest hip-hop album on the Billboard 200 this week". BallerStatus.com Read more:
- "Her Cool-Kid Clubhouse" By ALEXIS SWERDLOFF MAY 11, 2011, The New York Times.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2012". Complex Magazine.
- "Today it was announced that Mick Jenkins has inked a deal with Cinematic Music Group (Big K.R.I.T., Pro Era)..." 2DopeBoyz.com. http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/07/16/mick-jenkins-signs-cinematic-music-group-lazarus/
- " Mixtape Of The Week: Mick Jenkins The Water[s]". Tom Breihan August 20, 2014 Stereogum.com.
- "Luh Kel 'Wrong' video". Music-News.com.