Chronotherapy (treatment scheduling)
Chronotherapy, also called chronotherapeutics or chronotherapeutic drug delivery, refers to the use of circadian or other rhythmic cycles of a condition's symptoms and/or of the individual being treated in the application of therapy. Examples of this are treatments of psychiatric and somatic diseases that are administered according to a schedule that corresponds to these rhythms in order to maximize effectiveness and minimize side effects of the therapy.
|Chronotherapy (treatment scheduling)|
In the treatment of psychiatric conditions including bipolar depression, a form of chronotherapy combining intermittent sleep deprivation and morning bright light has shown efficacy and relative tolerability in a number of controlled studies.
- "Medical dictionary". Merriam-Webster. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Sajan J (October 2009). "Chronotherapeutics and Chronotherapeutic Drug Delivery Systems". Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 8 (5): 467–475. doi:10.4314/tjpr.v8i5.48091. ISSN 1596-5996. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
...drug availability is timed to match rhythms of disease in order to optimize therapeutic outcomes and minimize side effects.
- "Dictionary Definition".
- Benedetti F, Barbini B, Fulgosi MC, Colombo C, Dallaspezia S, Pontiggia A, Smeraldi E (December 2005). "Combined total sleep deprivation and light therapy in the treatment of drug-resistant bipolar depression: acute response and long-term remission rates". The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 66 (12): 1535–40. PMID 16401154.
- Benedetti F, Riccaboni R, Locatelli C, Poletti S, Dallaspezia S, Colombo C (February 2014). "Rapid treatment response of suicidal symptoms to lithium, sleep deprivation, and light therapy (chronotherapeutics) in drug-resistant bipolar depression". The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 75 (2): 133–40. doi:10.4088/JCP.13m08455. PMID 24345382.
- Benedetti F, Barbini B, Colombo C, Smeraldi E (December 2007). "Chronotherapeutics in a psychiatric ward". Sleep Medicine Reviews. 11 (6): 509–22. doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2007.06.004. PMID 17689120.
- Benedetti F (December 2012). "Antidepressant chronotherapeutics for bipolar depression". Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience. 14 (4): 401–11. PMC 3553570. PMID 23393416.
- Dallaspezia S, Suzuki M, Benedetti F (December 2015). "Chronobiological Therapy for Mood Disorders". Current Psychiatry Reports. 17 (12): 95. doi:10.1007/s11920-015-0633-6. PMID 26478195.