Christopher Lewis (priest)
|The Very Reverend
|Dean of Christ Church|
|Church||Church of England|
|Other posts||Dean of St Albans (1994–2003)|
|Birth name||Christopher Andrew Lewis|
|Born||4 February 1944|
|Parents||Admiral Sir Andrew Lewis|
|Spouse||Rhona Jane Martindale (m. 1970)|
|Alma mater||University of Bristol
Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
Westcott House, Cambridge
|Years of service||1961–1966|
The son of Admiral Sir Andrew Lewis KCB and his wife, Rachel Elizabeth (née Leatham), Lewis was educated at Marlborough College in Wiltshire, the University of Bristol (where he graduated BA in 1969), Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (graduating PhD in 1974) and Westcott House, Cambridge where he trained for the priesthood.
Lewis served in the Royal Navy from 1961 to 1966. He served aboard a minesweeper during the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation. He was promoted from acting sub-lieutenant to sub-lieutenant on 1 September 1965. He was promoted to lieutenant on 1 March 1966.
Lewis was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1973 and as a priest in 1974. He served as assistant curate of Barnard Castle (1973–76). From 1976 to 1979 he was both Director of the Oxford Institute for Church and Society and a tutor at Ripon College Cuddesdon. He was Senior Tutor at Ripon College Cuddesdon (1979–81) and (Vice Principal) 1981–82. He was also priest-in-charge of Aston Rowant with Crowell from 1978 to 1981. He was Vicar of Spalding from 1982 to 1987 when he was appointed a canon residentiary of Canterbury Cathedral. He was also Director of Ministerial Training for the Diocese of Canterbury from 1989 to 1994.
Lewis was Dean of St Albans Cathedral from 1994 to 2003. He was for some time Chairman of the Association of English Cathedrals. In 2003, he was appointed Dean of Christ Church. He retired on 4 February 2014, his 70th birthday.
In 1970, Lewis married Rhona Jane Martindale. They have two sons and one daughter.
- Lewis, Very Rev. Christopher Andrew PhD in Who's Who 2008 (A & C Black, 2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007) online (subscription required), accessed 12 Aug 2008
- Walker, Tim (6 January 2014). "Christ Church seeks a diplomatic dean". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "No. 43836". The London Gazette. 10 December 1965. p. 11545.
- "No. 44099". The London Gazette. 30 August 1966. p. 9588.
- "No. 44178". The London Gazette. 22 November 1966. p. 12584.
- Oxford Mail – Dean of Christ Church preparing to retire and start new life in Suffolk (Accessed 7 May 2104)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (97th edn, London: Church House Publishing, 2001), p. 455
- Announcement on Number 10, Downing Street website