Christopher P. DePhillips (born March 30, 1965) is an American Republican Party politician who has represented the 40th Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly since 2018. He replaced David C. Russo, who decided against running for re-election after 28 years in office. DePhillips had previously served as mayor of Wyckoff.
|Member of the New Jersey Assembly|
from the 40th Legislative District
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2018
Serving with Kevin J. Rooney
|Preceded by||David C. Russo|
|Born||March 30, 1965|
|Residence||Wyckoff, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
Seton Hall University School of Law
|Website||Legislative web page|
DePhillips earned a bachelor of arts degree with a major in government from Georgetown University in 1987 and a juris doctor degree from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1992. From 1987 to 1989 he worked in Washington, D.C. as an aide to Congresswoman Marge Roukema. A practicing attorney, DePhillips is Vice President and General Counsel of Porzio Life Sciences. A member of the Wyckoff Township Committee from 2010 to 2013, DePhillips was unanimously chosen by his peers to serve as the township's mayor in 2012. Appointed in June 2012, he served until 2017 as a Commissioner of the Northwest Bergen County Utilities Authority, which provides sewage treatment services to 75,000 residents in Bergen County.
In the 2013 general election, the last time all three legislative seats in the 40th District were up for vote simultaneously, the winners were Kevin J. O'Toole in the Senate and Scott Rumana and David C. Russo in the Assembly. By the 2017 primaries all would be gone, with O'Toole resigning in 2017 to become a Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (being replaced by Kristin Corrado), Rumana leaving in 2016 to become a Superior Court Judge (and be replaced By Kevin J. Rooney) and Russo's announcement that he would not run for another term of office, leaving a vacuum that led to a series of primary challenges. In the June 2017 Republican primary for the two Assembly seats, Rooney and DePhillips withstood a challenge from Joseph Bubba Jr. and the comeback attempt of former State Senator Norman M. Robertson by margins of 2-1; Kristin Corrado won the Senate nomination against former Assemblyman Paul DiGaetano. Since 1973, the 40th District has always leaned Republican, never electing a Democrat through the 2017 general election. However, a poll conducted by Democrats shortly before the election showed the two slates tied at 39%, with 21% of voters undecided. In the November 2017 general election, DePhillips (with 30,610 votes; 26.3% of all ballots cast) and his running mate, incumbent Kevin J. Rooney (with 31,170; 26.8%), defeated Democratic challengers Christine Ordway (27,092; 23.3%) and Paul Vagianos (26,737; 23.0%) to win both Assembly seats from the district for the Republicans.
For the 2018-19 session, DePhillips has been assigned to serve in the Assembly on the Regulated Professions Committee; the Science, Innovation and Technology Committee; and the Telecommunications and Utilities Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 40th District for the 2018-2019 Legislative Session are:
- Christopher P. DePhillips, District 40 Republicans. Accessed January 22, 2018. "He has been married to Patricia Reynolds-DePhillips for 21 years, and they are the parents of 4 children."
- Legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 16, 2018.
- Johnson, Brent. "Meet your brand-new state Legislature taking office today, Jersey", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, January 9, 2018. Accessed January 22, 2018. "David C. Russo, a Republican member of the Assembly from Bergen County who did not seek re-election after 28 years.... Chris DePhillips, a Republican who will succeed Russo in north Jersey's 40th District.
- "Porzio Life Sciences VP Christopher DePhillips Elected to NJ State Assembly", Porzio Life Sciences, press release dated November 8, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018.
- Gerace, Joseph M. "DePhillips in First Speech as Mayor: 'Wyckoff's Past, Present and Future are Strong'; New Mayor: 'Public service is an honor and responsibility, a duty.'", Wyckoff Patch, January 1, 2012. Accessed January 22, 2018. "At its reorganization meeting on January 1, Wyckoff's Township Committee unanimously voted Chris DePhillips as mayor for 2012."
- Mazzola, Jessica. "Former Mayor Officially Installed As Utilities CommissionerJohn DaPuzzo and Wyckoff Mayor Christopher DePhillips join NBCUA governing body", Mahwah Patch, June 25, 2012. Accessed January 22, 2018. "The Northwest Bergen County Utilities Authority (NBCUA) has officially installed two new commissioners on its governing board. They are Christopher P. DePhillips of Wyckoff, NJ, and John DaPuzzo of Mahwah, NJ."
- Cowen, Richard. "Corrado slate wins GOP nod in 40th District", The Record (Bergen County), June 6, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018. "Passaic County Clerk Kristin Corrado and her Bergen County running mates Kevin Rooney and Christopher DePhillips on Tuesday won the Republican primary in the 40th Legislative District, ending the comeback bids of Paul DiGaetano and Norman Robertson.... Corrado's running mates, Rooney and DePhillips, also beat their opponents in the race for state Assembly, Robertson and Joseph Bubba Jr., by margins of better than 2 to 1."
- Cowen, Richard. "District 40, always a GOP stronghold, up for grabs on Tuesday", The Record (Bergen County), November 4, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018. "Democrats have never won a seat in the 40th District since it was formed in 1973, but that losing streak could end this coming Tuesday."
- Hetrick, Christian. "Democratic Poll Shows Close Assembly Race in Unlikely District", New York Observer, November 6, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018. "Republicans have dominated Assembly races in New Jersey’s 40th legislative district going back at least four decades, but they could be in trouble this year, according to a poll commissioned by Democrats. Democratic Assembly candidates Christine Ordway and Paul Vagianos are tied with Assemblyman Kevin Rooney (R-Bergen) and his GOP running mate, Christopher DePhillips, according to an internal poll of likely voters. The Democratic and Republican tickets each got 39 percent support in the survey by Public Policy Polling, which had a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points and showed that 21 percent of respondents were undecided."
- Official List Candidates for General Assembly For General Election 11/07/2017 Election Archived 2017-12-05 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Department of State, dated November 29, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018.
- Cowen, Richard. "Democratic turnout, money factors in Republican losses in Bergen and Passaic counties", The Record (Bergen County), November 9, 2017. Accessed January 22, 2018. "The split in the ranks of the Passaic Republicans is in part the result of the political dogfight in District 40. Former Passaic County Clerk Kristin Corrado captured the state Senate seat in District 40, beating Tom Duch. Her two Republican running mates for Assembly, Kevin Rooney and Chris DePhillips, both of Wyckoff, also beat back a challenge from Democrats Christine Ordway and Paul Vagianos."
- Legislative Roster 2018-2019 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 22, 2018.
- District 40 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 22, 2018.
|New Jersey General Assembly|
David C. Russo
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 40th District
January 9, 2018 – present
With: Kevin J. Rooney