Christina Scull (born 6 March 1942 in Bristol, England) is a British researcher and writer best known for her books about the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, in collaboration with her husband Wayne G. Hammond who is also a Tolkien scholar. They have jointly won Mythopoeic Scholarship Awards for Inklings Studies five times.
Christina Scull was born in Bristol and was educated at the Redmaids' High School there. She worked for the London Board of Trade from 1961 to 1971 while completing her Bachelor of Arts degree in art history and medieval history at Birkbeck College. From 1971 to 1995, she served as Librarian of the Sir John Soane's Museum in London. John Garth describes Scull and Hammond as "two highly regarded veterans of Tolkien studies." She married the American Tolkien scholar Wayne G. Hammond in December 1994 and has subsequently collaborated with him on several projects.
Awards and distinctions edit
Mythopoeic Scholarship Awards for Inklings Studies, all jointly with Hammond:
- 1991 The Soane Hogarths. Sir John Soane's Museum and Trefoil Publications.
- 1995 (with Wayne G. Hammond) J. R. R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator. Houghton Mifflin.
- 2005 (with Wayne G. Hammond) The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion. Houghton Mifflin.
- 2006 (with Wayne G. Hammond) The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder. Marquette University Press.
- 2006 (with Wayne G. Hammond) The J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. Houghton Mifflin. Revised and expanded edition 2017.
- 2018 (with Catherine McIlwaine) Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth. Bodleian Library.
See also edit
- Mitchell, Philip Irving. "A Beginner's Guide to Tolkien Criticism". Dallas Baptist University. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "A Select Bibliography of Works about John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (1892-1973)". St. Bonaventure University. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Hammond, Wayne G.; Scull, Christina. "Who We Are". wayne & christina. Retrieved 25 November 2022.
- Garth, John (15 May 2007). "The J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, Volume I: Chronology, and: Volume II: Reader's Guide (review)". Tolkien Studies. 4 (1): 255–266. doi:10.1353/tks.2007.0019. S2CID 170907016.
- "Mythopoeic Awards – Scholarship". Mythopoeic Society. Retrieved 18 September 2020.
- Official site of Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond
- Christina Scull at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Christina Scull at Library of Congress, with 10 library catalogue records
- "Truth or Consequences: A Cautionary Tale of Tolkien Studies", with a 2010 critique of Wikipedia's Tolkien coverage