Christian Olde Wolbers
Christian Olde Wolbers (born 5 August 1973) is a Belgian musician, songwriter, and producer who is the Guitarist and backing vocalist of the heavy metal band Powerflo. He is the former bassist, guitarist and backing vocalist of the heavy metal band Fear Factory, and was also in the hardcore punk/crossover thrash band Beowülf.
Christian Olde Wolbers
Live in Chile 2006
|Born||5 August 1973|
|Genres||Heavy metal, groove metal, alternative metal, rap metal, nu metal, crossover thrash, industrial metal, metalcore, death metal|
|Occupation(s)||Songwriter, musician, producer, engineer, instructor, radio host|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, upright bass, backing vocals, MPC2000|
|Labels||E3 Entertainment, New Damage, Roadrunner Records, Nuclear Blast Records|
|Associated acts||Powerflo, Beowülf, Arkaea, Fear Factory, Kush, Cypress Hill, Threat Signal, Biohazard, Cyclone, Asphyxia|
Early life & careerEdit
Olde Wolbers was born in Antwerp, Belgium (though he has Dutch citizenship), and moved to the United States in 1993. He was asked to join Fear Factory in December 1993 as a bass player. He recorded five albums with them. The group disbanded in 2002 and when it reformed in 2003, Olde Wolbers had switched to guitar, replacing Dino Cazares.
Olde Wolbers is the only bassist that played on a Fear Factory album, as the other bassists only played live (with Dino Cazares recording the bass in the studio).
In 2003, he was offered a position of bassist in Ozzy Osbourne's solo band after he jammed with Ozzy, guitarist Zakk Wylde and drummer Mike Bordin few weeks. He eventually turned down this offer in order to fully concentrate on Fear Factory.
In 2008, he formed a new band "BURN IT ALL" which also feature Raymond Herrera (drums) and former Damageplan singer\HALFORD guitarist Patrick Lachman. They have posted a demo sampler on its MySpace page.
In 2009, Olde Wolbers and drummer Raymond Herrera parted ways with Fear Factory when vocalist Burton C. Bell chose to reform Fear Factory with Dino Cazares, bassist Byron Stroud, and drummer Gene Hoglan.
Olde Wolbers has a project Arkaea with fellow ex-Fear Factory drummer Raymond Herrera and Jon Howard and Pat Kavanagh of the band Threat Signal. On 14 July 2009, Arkaea's debut album, Years in the Darkness was released. Also in Beowülf, where he co-produced their 2011 album Jesus Freak.
In early 2014, Olde Wolbers was in a serious motorcycle accident in which he sustained severe injuries, including broken arms, legs and ribs. He is currently close to being recovered. He is also doing skype lessons to help cover his medical bills. In his Skype sessions, he's doing guitar/bass lessons, consulting on the bands/business/production/writing in the Los Angeles Area, entire country or world as well as via Skype.
In 2017, Olde Wolbers formed a new band called Powerflo with Senen Reyes, Roy Lozano, Billy Graziadei Fernando Schaefer. The band released their self-titled debut album the same year. Olde Wolbers is the band's bassist and backing vocalist.
He contributed upright bass to Devin Townsend's second album Infinity in 1998. In 2006, he helped produce and mix Mnemic's third album, Passenger, and also produced Bleed the Sky's Murder the Dance and Threat Signal's debut album, Under Reprisal. In 2008, he produced End of the Rope's new album, Till It Bleeds and in 2009, Wolbers produced Years in the Darkness for Arkaea. He filled in as live guitarist for Korn for the first three shows of their European tour. He appears as a guest guitar player on the EP This World by breakbeat production group The Autobots. He produced the vocals for God Forbid's Earthsblood, co-wrote and played bass on Snoop Dogg's album Paid tha Cost to Be da Boss. He helped Cypress Hill with their rock outfit and wrote songs for their Stoned Raiders and Skull & Bones albums. He also played on two songs on Soulfly's debut in 1998. In 2017 he played bass for Isolated Antagonist for their album Oblivion.
- Powerflo (2017)
- Resistance (2017)
- Victim of Circumstance (2017)
- Jesus Freak (2011)
- Years in the Darkness (2009)
With Fear FactoryEdit
- A.N.I.M.A.L. – Poder Latino (1998)
- Devin Townsend – Infinity (1998)
- Soulfly – Soulfly (1998)
- Roadrunner United – The All Star Sessions (2005)
- Threat Signal – Under Reprisal (2006)
- Cypress Hill – Skull & Bones (2000)
- Cypress Hill – Stoned Raiders (2001)
- Isolated Antagonist — Oblivion (2017)
As a teenager, Olde Wolbers was a goalkeeper at the youth academy of Belgian professional football soccer club Germinal Ekeren, and was the team's reserve goalkeeper for several games in the Belgian Second Division. He was suspended for having long hair and tattoos at the age of 17 due to the conservatism of the club, and chose instead to concentrate on his music career. Olde Wolbers also played wide receiver and defensive back for the Antwerp Diamonds of the Belgian Football League.
Since moving to the United States, Olde Wolbers has played regularly for the Los Angeles-based Amateur and trained with their Pro team Hollywood United, and currently plays for Angel City FC in the semi-professional Los Angeles Premier League.
Olde Wolbers is also the founder and owner of Aviata Sports, an international sportswear company which specializes in manufacturing goalkeeper gloves. Aviata gloves are worn in Major League Soccer by Josh Saunders of Los Angeles Galaxy, the Belgian Jupiler Pro League, José Manuel Pinto of Barcelona in La Liga, Eredivisie in the Netherlands, the Premier League, and many more leagues all over the world.
- "Beowulf – Home". Beowulfbwf.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Jason Newsted Leaves Ozzy Osbourne, Is Replaced By Rob Zombie Bassist". Blabbermouth.net. 4 December 2003. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Fear Factory's Christian Olde Wolbers Says He Turned Down Ozzy Osbourne Gig". Blabbermouth.net. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Guitarist Patterson Back With Korn After Stint By Fear Factory's Olde Wolbers". Blabbermouth.net. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Burn It All Featuring Fear Factory, Ex Damageplan Members: Audio Samples Available". Blabbermouth.net. 1 June 2008. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET – ARKAEA Featuring Ex-FEAR FACTORY Members: New Audio Samples Available". Archived from the original on 4 May 2009.
- "Blog Archive " Fear Factory Interview Part 2!". Metal Hammer. 27 April 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Christian Olde Wolbers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "POWERFLO Feat. BIOHAZARD, CYPRESS HILL, Ex-FEAR FACTORY Members: 'Resistance' Lyric Video". blabbermouth.net. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Autobots, The* – This World (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "christian_oldewolbers Instagram". Christian Olde Wolbers.
- "LA Premier League". LA Premier League. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Aviata Sports". Aviata Sports. Retrieved 10 December 2011.