Chris Allison (police officer)
Christopher John Allison, CBE (born 1962) is a British former police officer who served as Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service. He was the National Olympic Security Coordinator for the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. He has been involved in the policing of public order events for much of his career and was previously Assistant Commissioner for Central Operations.
|Born||1962 (age 56–57)|
|Department||Metropolitan Police Service|
Allison joined the Metropolitan Police in 1984, initially serving as a constable in Walthamstow, and was promoted through the ranks. In 1996 he became a Chief Inspector at Hammersmith, where his responsibilities included the policing of Queens Park Rangers F.C. matches. He served as staff officer to the then deputy commissioner Sir John Stevens between 1998 and 2000. In 2000 he was appointed Divisional Commander at Paddington, and was promoted to Chief Superintendent in 2001. In 2002 he was promoted to Commander, and appointed Borough Commander for the City of Westminster.
Allison was a member of several MPS Public Order Cadres including the Public Order Command Cadre, and in this capacity has commanded police operations at major incidents and events in London. He was the Gold Commander in the aftermath of the 7 July 2005 London bombings, for which he was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2006 New Year Honours. Allison was also the Association of Chief Police Officers' lead on alcohol and licensing matters between 2004 and 2008, with responsibility for co-ordinating policy of police forces nationally.
In 2008 Allison was appointed temporary Assistant Commissioner with responsibility for Central Operations, replacing Tarique Ghaffur when he stepped down. He was appointed Assistant Commissioner in May 2009, and given responsibility for planning the policing of the 2012 Olympics. He held this position until the end of 2010, taking up a full-time role leading security for the Olympics in January 2011.
- "MPA appoints new Metropolitan Police Commanders" (Press release). Metropolitan Police Authority. 15 November 2002. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Chris Allison CBE". Linkedin. Archived from the original on 28 June 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Christopher John Allison". National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Policing the 2012 Olympics: Command, control and coordination". Association of Chief Police Officers. Archived from the original on 7 August 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison, Central Operations". Metropolitan Police Service. Archived from the original on 7 May 2011. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "No. 57855". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2005. p. 13.
- Davies, Caroline (31 December 2005). "Courage of July 7 bomb rescuers is recognised". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Batchelor, Leo (February 2007). "Controlling Interest: Chris Allison". Night Magazine. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Hughes, Mark (11 April 2009). "The Metropolitan Police in crisis". The Independent. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Acting Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison appointed Met Assistant Commissioner for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and Central Operations" (Press release). Metropolitan Police Authority. 8 May 2009. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Davenport, Justin (2 December 2010). "Woman officer takes over job of policing demonstrations". Evening Standard. Archived from the original on 3 December 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "No. 60534". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 June 2013. p. 7.
| Assistant Commissioner (Central Operations)
Metropolitan Police Service