The Chimuara Solar Power Station, is a planned 100 megawatts (130,000 hp) solar power plant in Mozambique. The solar farm is under development by a consortium of two independent power producers and one investment company. The developers have created a special purpose vehicle (SPV) company called SunMoz, to design, build, own, operate and maintain the power station and related infrastructure. The energy generated here will be sold to Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM), for integration into the Mozambican grid, under a long-term power purchase agreement.
|Chimuara Solar Power Station|
|Location||Chimuara, Zambezia Province|
|Site area||250 hectares (618 acres)|
|Nameplate capacity||100 megawatts (130,000 hp)|
The power station is located in the town of Chimuara, in the Zambezia Province, on the northern bank of the Zambezi River. This is close to the border with Sofala Province, approximately 198 kilometres (123 mi) west of the coastal city of Quelimane, the Zambezia provincial capital. SunMoz has obtained a piece of real estate measuring 250 hectares (620 acres) on which the solar farm will sit.
The design calls for a generation capacity of 100 megawatts, which will be sold directly to EDM, the electric utility company of Mozambique, for integration in the national electricity grid. EDM owns an electric substation in Chimuara, where the energy will be injected into the national grid. The power station will be developed in phases, with the first phase to comprise 30 MW.
The consortium that owns and is dveloping the solar farm has created an SPV company called SunMoz, to build own and operate the power station. The table below illustrates the shareholding in SunMoz.
|1||SolarCentury Africa||United Kingdom|||
|2||Renewable Energy Services Africa (RESA)||South Africa|||
- Jean Marie Takouleu (11 July 2022). "Mozambique: Solarcentury joins forces with RESA and Checunda for a 100 MWp solar park". Afrik21.frica. Paris, France. Retrieved 12 July 2022.
- Sangita Shetty (8 July 2022). "Solarcentury Africa Joins Chimuara Solar Power Project in Mozambique". SolarQuartr.com. Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Retrieved 12 July 2022.
- Google (12 July 2022). "Travel Distance Between Quelimane, Mozambique And Chimuara, Mozambique" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 12 July 2022.
- Renew Africa Business (6 July 2022). "Mozambique's 100MW Chimuara solar park project gathers pace". RenewAfrica.Biz. Cape Town, South Africa. Retrieved 12 July 2022.
- Chimuara Solar Park in Mozambique to be delivered following joint agreement As of 7 July 2022.