McDowell at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival
Charles Malcolm Taylor
July 10, 1983
|Occupation||Film director, writer|
|The One I Love|
In 2011, McDowell's Twitter feed, @charliemcdowell, was described by Time as "one of the most hilarious Twitter feeds out there," and in 2013 Three Rivers Press published McDowell's book, Dear Girls Above Me, based on his Twitter feed.
His debut film, The One I Love, starring Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2014, where shortly after it was acquired by RADiUS-TWC and released in August 2014. In 2015, McDowell directed Sarah Silverman's HBO pilot. McDowell's next film The Discovery, stars Rooney Mara, Jason Segel, and Robert Redford. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and was acquired by Netflix for a global release in 2017.
McDowell was born in Los Angeles to English actor Malcolm McDowell and American actress Mary Steenburgen. He has an older sister named Lilly (born January 22, 1981). His stepfather is actor Ted Danson, who married his mother in 1995.
- "Charlie McDowell". Celebrity-birthday.sorg. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Megan Gibson (28 March 2011). "Charlie McDowell". Time. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Dear Girls Above Me [review]". Publishers Weekly. 2013-07-01.
- Bielski, Zosia (2013-06-27). "'Forced to listen' to the girls upstairs, Charlie McDowell took to Twitter". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Sundance 2014: You're not supposed to know anything about 'The One I Love'". Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (January 23, 2014). "Sundance: Radius-TWC Acquires 'The One I Love'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 19, 2014). "Hot Trailer: Elisabeth Moss & Mark Duplass Get Trippy In 'The One I Love'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 13, 2015). "Charlie McDowell To Direct HBO's Sarah Silverman Pilot, Jeremy Garelick To Helm Fox's 'Detour'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Dave McNary (2015-10-27). "Nicholas Hoult, Rooney Mara Starring in Romance 'The Discovery'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Busch, Anita (March 9, 2016). "Robert Redford & Jason Segel Join Rooney Mara In 'The Discovery'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- Jafaar, Ali (June 13, 2016). "Netflix Acquires The World On 'The Discovery' With Rooney Mara, Robert Redford And Jason Segel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Swinson, Brock (March 30, 2017). "The Discovery: A Big Premise Character Piece". Creative Screenwriting. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- Matt Patches (2014-01-08). "Sundance Preview: Mark Duplass is Both Mentor and Star on Set of 'The One I Love'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Nigel M Smith (2015-04-18). "The Indiewire Springboard: Meet Twitter Sensation, Published Author and Director of 'The One I Love, Charlie McDowell". Indiewire. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Mattern, Jessica Leigh (2018-09-17). "How Ted Danson Found Love With Mary Steenburgen After Leaving Whoopi Goldberg". Country Living. Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- Charlie McDowell on IMDb
- Dear Girls Above Me (Google Books)
- Rosemary Brennan (2010-06-21). "Love Letters to Charlie McDowell of Dear Girls Above Me". Glamour. Retrieved 2016-01-16.